Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion TP01-2165z
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I am having trouble trying to boot from the internal CD/DVD drive with Windows 11 installed on my TP01-2165z desktop. I have tried two ways with no result. Note that in both ways the DVD disk used is a bootable.

First attempt:

Changed the BIOS as follows:

Secure Boot [Disabled]

UEFI Boot Order:

Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive

OS Boot Manager

Use CD/DVD Rom Drive

Use Flash Drive/Use Hard Drive

! Network Adapter

1. Inserted a DVD in drive

2. Rebooted desktop, pressed F9 and pressed CD/DVD drive that was listed

Result: The CD/DVD drive did not boot and the system just booted to windows.

Second attempt:

I did the following. Note that I left the BIOS settings the same as in my first attempt.

1. Settings

2. System

3. Recovery

4. Advanced Startup

5. Restart

6. Use a device

7. UEFI: CD/DVD Drive

8. Inserted DVD and pressed restart

Result: The CD/DVD drive again did not boot and the system just booted to windows.

It appears that the new UEFI/BIOS for Windows 11 is not very user friendly in setting up booting from other drives. I miss the BIOS legacy option. 😔

I would appreciate any comments from the HP community forum as to what I am doing wrong to boot the CD/DVD drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hi

HP PCs - Cannot Start Desktop Computer From a Bootable CD or DVD (Windows 😎 | HP® Customer Support

the method may be different, compared to the bios functions, but whether it is w8 w10 or w11, it must be similar

from what I have encountered so far, often it is because we have not expanded the reader line, and selected the right option
unless the created disc is not bootable

HP PCs - Secure Boot (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Sanity check:  Did the LED on the DVD light up and blink a few times when you powered up?  It may actually have tried to boot up but was unable to read the boot sector and gave up.  You can temporarily unplug the hard drive to force the optical boot.  If you see the DVD light blink a few times and then the message "no system found" then the problem is the media.

I have had problems booting win10 repair DVDs as they are double layer and my older optical drives seem to have problems

Using RUFUS to create a USB boot works better but it is always good to have a DVD with latest and greatest.

HTH

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks BeemerBiker for your response. The CD/DVD drive did not light up when I applied my two methods of trying to make the CD/DVD drive boot. I disconnected the SSD in my machine at your suggestion and the CD/DVD drive did not booth. This makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the BIOS firmware that HP installed. Additionally, when I insert a photo album or data disk into the drive on my new HP desktop when in windows, the drive does open files for viewing so I think that there is nothing wrong with the drive itself.  Also, I have tried to find any information on how to boot from an optical drive in HP support for Windows 11 and the only information available online is for older HP products that run Windows 10. Probably because Windows 11 is so new. and HP support has not gotten around to updating their setup and problem information for Windows 11 in their newer products. I'm so frustrated with this problem that I'm wondering if I should have purchased a Dell. I'll try to contact HP support directly by phone to discuss this problem with them.

HP Recommended

hi

HP PCs - Cannot Start Desktop Computer From a Bootable CD or DVD (Windows 😎 | HP® Customer Support

the method may be different, compared to the bios functions, but whether it is w8 w10 or w11, it must be similar

from what I have encountered so far, often it is because we have not expanded the reader line, and selected the right option
unless the created disc is not bootable

HP PCs - Secure Boot (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.