Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Desktop working fine - no issues. Overnight it must have had an auto update & tried to restart. The reboot left the screen with HP Logo (V7.19) and message at bottom "Press the ESC Key for start up menu" 

The computer did not respond when pushing the ESC key. Following several suggestions on internet tried hard boot, moving CMOS Pins for 10 secs computer off, restarting quickly clicking F6, F8, F10, F12. All yielding the same result =

HP logo then the BIOS (assume) screen with all same message at bottom "Press ESC Key for start up menu" or variations of same depending on F key yielding same BIOS but diagnostics, Trouble shooting, etc. but in all cases could never get a highlight and the computer would not react to any keyboard click once on this screen. Suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi JD53

Can you navigate in the BIOS using the replacement keyboard?

I am not sure what BIOS version you have since I don't know the specific model.

Check out this HP Support document on using either BIOS version.

Scroll down to "Reloading the BIOS default Settings".

See if setting the BIOS to defaults helps. You can also remove the CR2032 motherboard battery for about 10 minutes. This will reset CMOS.

Be careful when working inside your PC to avoid ESD.

Let me know if you need assistance on doing this to prevent any damage to the motherboard or attached components.

Grzy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi JD53

It appears your PC is not able to complete the POST.

Is the keyboard talking to the BIOS. I believe the BIOS cannot enumerate devices.

Toggle "numlock" on and off. Any LED indicators on the keyboard?

Any LED activity on the mouse? Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard/mouse?

Try a different keyboard and mouse. Try different USB ports. Disconnect all unnecessary peripherals.

Other internal components (RAM, HDD, internal USB card reader) may have failed or be failing, including the motherboard. The power supply may be failing.

You would have to look at each component by removing it from the boot process to see if you can find the failing component.

Did you replace the motherboard cr2032 battery? Try that.

Pull the RAM. Boot the system to see if you get an error message. Disconnect internal HDD and CD/DVD drive. Boot and see if you can get a disk boot error message.

Disconnect the keyboard and mouse. Try to boot using only the monitor.

Remove a discrete graphics card and try to boot using onboard graphics if this is applicable. Add a discrete graphics card if you are using onboard graphics.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thanks, will try what U suggested -

The keyboard was wireless but have switched to wired. The F keys on keyboard work when booting up but only take me to the BIOs screen without a highlight to go forward. 

HP Recommended

Hi JD53

Can you navigate in the BIOS using the replacement keyboard?

I am not sure what BIOS version you have since I don't know the specific model.

Check out this HP Support document on using either BIOS version.

Scroll down to "Reloading the BIOS default Settings".

See if setting the BIOS to defaults helps. You can also remove the CR2032 motherboard battery for about 10 minutes. This will reset CMOS.

Be careful when working inside your PC to avoid ESD.

Let me know if you need assistance on doing this to prevent any damage to the motherboard or attached components.

Grzy

HP Recommended
Not able to navigate on Bios screen.
Will try battery CMOS to default you suggested
Thanks
HP Recommended

GRZY, 

Thanks! I followed your suggestions the best i could. I disconnected all, replaced the CR2032 batt, moved the CMOS to different pins for 30 minutes. Changed ports on USB keyboard and all. Successfully was able to get to a screen where i got highlights and a C:Administrator: CMD.exe screen. Was concerned i might only have one opportunity to get to the restore point called Costco tech for help & together we were able to restore back a few weeks and windows came up!

Thanks very much, i had just aboout given up that i was going to be buying a new computer and spending 1/2 day getting programs loaded etc. 

All is working great now!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.