Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pav 510-p024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1. First let me make this very clear. The installed HP tools caused this issue. The BIOS update was lisated as a critical update. I did the update as reccomended by YOUR SOFTWARE

2. The issue is now well documented by several users in this forum that the 081B4 v.34 BIOS PREVENTS the use of SDD drive completely.

3. I / WE need a resolution to this ASAP. This needs to be escalated to an Engineer within HP.

4. I need one of three options to happen:

4a: Allow me to downgrade the BIOS or provide a workaround to allow this to happen.

4b: publish a newer BIOS that fixes this now KNOWN issue .

4c: HP send me a new motherboard with a functioning BIOS that allows for SSD to be connected

my latestroadblock listed below

===================================================================================

Ok I managed to copy the bios files both the .bin and the .sig file over to the EFI partition .

Now I can access then via the UEFI system diag

HOWEVER, Now it says "Unable to open BIOS Signature file" !!!!

I put multiple copies in multiple location on the EFI partition, location does not make a difference where I put them.

I downloaded the same files again tweice agian got the same error all three times.

Why will it not open the .sig file?

is it truly possible that the BIOS CANNOT be downgraded at all by any method?

If the answr is YES then HP owes me a new motherbaord. It was the HP tool that did this to me.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Does anyone have an update on this? a ticket number with HP or an ecsalation? I would like to know that this is at least being looked at or that HP is aware and actively working on a solution. I need to report to my boss about what is going on.

HP Recommended

>  I would like to know that this is at least being looked at, or that HP is aware and actively working on a solution.

> I need to report to my boss about what is going on.

This is a "user-to-user" forum, not an official path to contact HP to open a support case.  IMHO, it's time for you to do so.

HP Recommended

I reinstalled the OEM 2TB slow is you know what drive on my HP 510-p024 to at least be able to use this machine while we wait for a BIOS update to allow use of SSD drives again. Still no news from HP. My ticket with HP got closed out without a resolution. three weeks now for me. proably a lot longer for others. no new BIOS posted, can't downgrade the exsisting BIOS either. I am SOL, but at least I am not alone. Hoping for a class action lawsuit now.

HP Recommended

Here is the Official response from HP.

I did want to let you know at this point HP inc is not required to fix or resolve this issue caused by our BIOS update. Because of the Third Party SSD Harddrive our bios updates may not be compatible with other companies hardware. This complaint was elevated to our internal Technicians and determined because of the 3rd party hardware we could not resolve this issue from a technical stand point. If you have any concerns in this matter feel free to give me a call and we can discuss this further.

Bottom line, anyone who installed an SSD is screwed. case closed. HP does not care and does not want you as a customer.

HP Recommended

mdklassen had an idea for a workaround by adding a PCI Express SATA controller card then connecting the SSD to that board instead.

I am very happy to report this WORKS!

The short version is the SSD is taking a different path on the motherboard now. The PCIe board is acting as an intermediary. I find it ironic that this works as they specifically mention that they are NOT required to support 3rd party hardware.

So here you go: 

1. If your BIOS has secure boot disable that.

2. In the BIOS make sure the ability to use LEGACY devices is on and enabled

3. You can leave UEFI support on.

this is the board I used : 

SYBA SY-PEX40039 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) PCI-e 2.0 x1 Card

Cost me $15 on newegg.

so there you have it.  give it a try and post your results.

If it works and you know of others having the same issue spread the word

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.