Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thank you very much and the links for the W8.1 ISO and Drivers.  Did all of the install and most of Windows update, it did not ask for an product key during the installation .. will it come up as "not a genuine copy of Windows" down the road?  Anyway, now my niece  and her kiddies have an almost new PC for home schooling.

By the way, possible you can provide a link for ISO of any version of Windows 7 which has an generic key like the W8.1?  I do realized it had discontinued support for some times, I and many people out there just don't like W8 or W10.

Thanks again 🙏

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Paul_Tikkanen

Yes, I got Rufus and did make the USB with that.  Evidentially Windows USB DVD tool has to have some extra things installed to work properly.  I learned some things on this adventure, too.  I learned my protection software does not like Rufus and therefore had to use a different PC to use it.

I learn so much from reading your posts and wish I had your knowlegde.  Thanks Paul for your expertise.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should not have any issues with W8.1.  It should show up as activated in the system information window in the Windows control panel.

What version of W7 do you need that you have product keys for?

With W7, the product key is not in the BIOS like W8/8.1 or W10, so you will need to be able to read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on the PC's case in order for W7 to activate.

HP Recommended

Hello
I reinstalled someone's HP computer not long ago.
The key is not requested, it is normal, since as indicated it is registered in the bios, it is a key known as oem!
the activation is done automatically, once the computer is connected to the internet!
What you asked for Windows 7 is impossible ..
Unless someone is able to give valid keys that they bought, or can be received somehow (legal of course), if you want to install windows 7 on a computer that does not have not this original system, you need to buy a valid key from a dealer!
to know that certain functions will not be able to be used any more in the long run, and that the computer, can not be completely compatible!
Microsoft pushes users to migrate to Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7...

NB: after reinstalling w 8.1, this system is not at all to my taste, I installed windows 10 1909 without problem, activation ok
Only problem, no longer possible to use the HP audio driver, it is replaced by a Microsoft driver!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello Paul, the version which I'm looking for is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Hello Promethee, thank you for your input.  The PC I'm working on is an older Dell, Microsoft indicated OS is pre-installed (OEM) by Dell and need to check with them.  I did look up Dell support for recovery ISO, it said there is no software/driver for this PC.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the updated version (2018) of the W7 Home Premium 64 bit English (US) ISO file.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/E/A/8/EA804D86-C3DF-4719-9966-6A66C9306598/7601.24214.180801...

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

You will need to use a USB flash drive because this file is too large to fit on a DVD.

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

HP Recommended

Ok, you specified
"you can provide a link for ISO of any version of Windows 7 which has an generic key like the W8.1"
But this is not like windows 8, there you should have a product key with the computer, in order to activate windows!

it must therefore be present, sometimes on the computer, but it can be deleted.

Can't use this?
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/fr-fr/000123667/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-imag...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Paul, again you save the day.  Thank you, W7 ISO is now on a Boot able USB, you THE man. 

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you again Promethee, I have tried the Dell OS recovery tool option before.  Wouldn't hurt give it another shot, after entering the serial or service tag number, both times come up saying "No OS defined for the Product" as it had before, likely due to the fact this laptop is close to 10 years old but is in real good shape and hardly used, hate to cast it aside, that is why I reach out to you experts.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hello again, I've spoke too soon of the bootable USB.  I was posting in thanking you while it was in the creation process.  It failed,  message said "File copied successfully, however we were unable to run Bootsec to make the USB device bootable", it provided a help link to the online store, I don't what to ask or search for, Googlo search did not come up with anything meaningful, hope you can provide some insight, thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.