Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Small form factor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Updated bios to 2.99 and computer froze in the middle of the update , I restarted it and I get 9 beeps 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the service manual at the link below, chapter 11, page 303 for how to troubleshoot the 9 beep code error.

c03612798.pdf (hp.com)

Are you sure it wasn't beeping 8 times?  That is more related to the problem of a failed BIOS update.

If you used the Windows based flash to update the BIOS, that was not a good idea, since the Windows based flash is not supported on W10.

Always use the F10 setup flash method when updating the BIOS when you are not running a supported operating system.

HP Recommended

It beeped 8 times not 9 

HP Recommended

OK, then you will have to see if you can follow the guidance on the link I zipped up and attached below.

There may be a couple of ways you can recover from this...I would try the last section first.

BootBlock Emergency Recovery Mode

In the event of a failed BIOS update (for example if power is lost while updating), the System BIOS may become corrupted.  BootBlock Emergency Recovery Mode detects this condition and will automatically search the root directory of the hard drive and any USB media sources (hard drive, flash drive, etc) for a compatible binary image.   The binary (.bin) file in the DOS Flash folder should be copied to the root of the desired storage device, and the system powered on. Once the binary image is located, the BIOS recovery process will be attempted.   The automatic recovery will continue until the BIOS is successfully updated or restored.   If the system has a BIOS Setup password, you may be required to use the Startup Menu / Utilities submenu to flash the BIOS manually after providing the password.   Sometimes there are restrictions on which BIOS versions are allowed to be installed on a platform. If the BIOS that was on the system had restrictions, then only allowable BIOS versions may be used for recovery.

The BIOS files you need to use are found in the DOS flash folder of the v02.99 file you ran.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73099.exe

Hopefully you will be able to fix it.

HP Recommended

Thare is nothing on the display and no keyboard or mouse are working

HP Recommended

The way I read the boot block recovery options is all you need to do is to put the BIOS files in the DOS flash folder using a USB flash drive formatted with the FAT32 file system.

You just plug the flash drive in a USB port and as long as the PC turns on, it is supposed to look for BIOS files to recover from.

BootBlock Emergency Recovery Mode detects this condition and will automatically search the root directory of the hard drive The binary (.bin) file in the DOS Flash folder should be copied to the root of the desired storage device, and the system powered on. Once the binary image is located, the BIOS recovery process will be attempted.   The automatic recovery will continue until the BIOS is successfully updated or restored. any USB media sources (hard drive, flash drive, etc) for a compatible binary image.

There is nothing mentioned about not having a display or the KB and mouse not working.

In any event I have given you all the help I can.

HP Recommended

I have tried this and we'll nothing (unless I'm doing something wrong) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.