Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
500-336
Linux

I would like to know if there is an update to the UEFI/Bios for my computer.  The computer model is HP 500-336.  I did find this page

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-500-300-desktop-pc-series/6879020/model...

but, it doesn't seem to mention anything about the UEFI/bios.  Unless that's handled by some of the other software that they offer there.  Ideally, I would like to just download the files to a USB drive and go through the process in a more old fashioned way.  Right now I am running Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon so to run a Windows program, I might have to install a new hard drive, install windows, use it, then wipe the drive and put my Linux drive back in. 

I also notice that Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon has a tool to update firmware.  I am not totally sure that the firmware they refer to is the uefi/bios but I would assume so.  I followed these instructions:

https://itsfoss.com/update-firmware-ubuntu/

But, after I type 

sudo fwupdmgr update

nothing happened.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Assuming that there is a need to update the BIOS, that would seem to be the way to do it.  Here is the update if I understand your post

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-500-300-desktop-pc-series/687...

It says it will run under Windows 7 or 8.1

BTW:  I downloaded the sp76898.exe  and opened it with 7_zip and found the bin file.  If you can do that, then perhaps it can be flashed with a DOS flasher and not have to install Windows.  That was possible in the past with other BIOS files.  I will leave it to you to decide how to go about it, however.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I did find BIOS updates for the PC that is linked in your post.  They are listed under Windows 8.1, some when you click on the

Software and driver results for:

HP Pavilion 500-336 Desktop PC
HP Pavilion 500-336 Desktop PC

Change the Windows version to 8.1.  Unfortunately there happens to be several choices:

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF7)  version 80.23 Rev.A

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AFE)  version 80.18 Rev.A  Which also shows previous versions

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B17)  version 80.16 Rev.A  Which also shows previous versions

You can check the version already installed to see which one is the one needed and then decide if a newer version is for you.  They all state that a version of Windows is needed to run the update.  I do not use Linux for everyday use, so do not know if a Windows emulator will be able to run the update or not.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Good catch on changing to the Windows 8.1 available software page.  I think that HP should have a note on the Windows 10 page explaining that there is a bios update as that could easily be missed.

I see that the bios version that I have running right now is Mem v 80.20.  

Also, system board ID is 2AF7.  So, I am assuming that the one that I need is the ROM Family SSID 2AF7

That's too bad the HP is only offering .exe files to update the bios.  I assume that you have to run the .exe from within a booted up Windows, and one that's on the particular computer that you are updating.  

In Linux, we can run *some* Windows programs using Wine.  But, I read an opinion somewhere that you can't do that for a bios update.  I will just jump over to Windows to get this done.

HP Recommended

Assuming that there is a need to update the BIOS, that would seem to be the way to do it.  Here is the update if I understand your post

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-500-300-desktop-pc-series/687...

It says it will run under Windows 7 or 8.1

BTW:  I downloaded the sp76898.exe  and opened it with 7_zip and found the bin file.  If you can do that, then perhaps it can be flashed with a DOS flasher and not have to install Windows.  That was possible in the past with other BIOS files.  I will leave it to you to decide how to go about it, however.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.