Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G4 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

it seems that PC is built for 64bit versions of OS. I'm using Windows 10 32bit which is pretty enough for me.

I checked the Bios mode the PC is running and I found that it's Legacy.  I'd like to use the UEFI. Is that possible with Windows 32bit version?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The data sheet for that PC line indicates it comes with Windows 10 or Windows 7 but all 64 bit OS.  Unless it had FreeDos 2.0.  Unless this was upgraded to Windows 10 from something else.  What BIOS version is installed?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi,

the PC I have came with FreeDOS.

Windows System Information tool shows that the BIOS version/Date is  HP P03 Ver. 02.11, 11/6/2017.

HP Recommended

From what I have read about the UEFI and 32bit Windows 10 - it is dependant on the manufacturer and the BIOS.  The BIOS is new enough to have the support for the 64 bit and UEFI but it is a "try it" to see if it will be OK with the 32bit. Why not try it and if it works Great!

Being that is a Business Class PC, I do not have enough info as a volunteer.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I was planning to do the task by using a third party app that promises to convert MBR to GPT disk without reinstalling the OS and without data loss. That app can't work, saying that Windows 32bit doesn't work on GPT disk, and suggesting to upgrade to the 64bit version of the OS.

I've read several articles on the web about that case before coming here, but I didn't get a clear idea about it.

Now it seems the only option available is to go  with repartitioning the HDD and reinstalling the OS.  I will try this when I'm ready and hopefully, won't forget to come back here to share the experience.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

You bring a different subject than in the first post.  Perhaps this is what was meant but it was not mentioned "convert MBR to GPT" and using Windows 32bit.  That is different than shifting from " Legacy.  I'd like to use the UEFI."

If that is what you actually want, then reformat the hard drive in GPT during the Windows 10 64bit clean install after switching to UEFI in the BIOS.

Here is an answer from a Microsoft forum.  Read the first submission from Andre Da Costa

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-do-i-install-...

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

that's what I meant. Switching to the UEFI mode, reformating the HDD during Windows setup and installing the OS.

It looks like this setup works well with the Windows 10 64bit version. What about the 32bit version of Windows 10? Will that work as well?

From what I've read, that can work if the the PC's motherboard supports it:

"UEFI 2.0 support was added in Windows 8, so you're good to go w/ a native UEFI install of Windows 10 32-bit, if your system firmware supports it."

"An EFI install of Windows 10 32-bit can be performed on systems that are operating in 32-bit EFI mode, which isn't related to your make/model of processor. You'll have to consult your motherboard manufacturer/instructions to determine what version of EFI support your motherboard shipped with and if you can tweak it...."

Source

Does the motherboard of that PC support that native UEFI setup of windows 10 32bit?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Here is a manual concerning that model.  Feel free to read thru it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05378429

I do not see any mention of Windows 10 32bit.  All Windows OS's are 64bit.  One of the main benefits of the UEFI BIOS is with  GPT method instead of FAT 32 or NTSF and MBR type hard drives is to accommodate drives bigger than 2TB.  Windows 32 bit cannot do that and the memory limit for 32 bit is under 4GB fo RAM.

I see no reason for this PC to be expected to function in the setup you are proposing.  If you wish to pursue this topic, address the Business Center, since this is a business PC.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.