Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProOne 400 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After doing updates this machine Blue screens with the error message WDF_VIOLATION. I cannot boot to safe mode and it does not allow me to do a system restore before the updates have gone through. I have had to reinstall this machine several times now (using USBs and MDT as I also cannot do a Winodws 10 reset). I have tried installing drivers from https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-proone-400-g3-20-inch-touch-all-in-one-pc/152924... and the intel website but still it crashes. Can anyone give me advice on what update or what driver may be causing this to crash.  Below is the SrtTrail results after it fails a start up repair.

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = E:\windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 219 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 1281 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 141 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 125 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 1890 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found:
Boot critical file e:\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0xa
Time taken = 19047 ms

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have spent two days trying to find an issue for this and half an hour later after posting this I find the solution. Issue appears to be with update KB4462919. I followed the instructions on the link below and that sorted it

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/hp-pcs-getting-wdf-violation-bsod-after-installing-w...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have spent two days trying to find an issue for this and half an hour later after posting this I find the solution. Issue appears to be with update KB4462919. I followed the instructions on the link below and that sorted it

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/hp-pcs-getting-wdf-violation-bsod-after-installing-w...

HP Recommended

HP ProDesk 400 G3.  Vanilla install Win.10.Pro 64-bit v.1809, then let it update automatically and no problems, update KB4464330 installed and it's been fine since.

HP Recommended

I did try basic installs (no HP software) of Windows 10 and it still occured. The only differences between what I was installing at that time and what was originally on it was there was no HP software on the image and that I was putting Windows 10 Education on it. 

Once I solved the issue I could put on a schools Windows 10 image from our MDT server with no issues

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.