Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have successfully saved my 8 years old machine. It is back to normal working status now.

I could not come back here, but consider it may benefit those old machine users, I would like to share how it is fixed.

1. It confirmed my suspicion---BIOS corruption. I was not able to find BIOS recovery download from HP support site previously because I kept selecting Windows10 as my OS (which is true). BUT,  when I randomly selected Windows8, HP site does show up two BIOS upgrade, one is released at 2013, one is at 2015. So I chose the 2015 one (sp70376) and followed the procedure to perform a BIOS recovery (basically just over write the existing one). After that my machine can cold start and boot into windows now.

2. I would like to thank the two gentlemen who helped me though in different direction. I also agree that their suggestion of scraping machine/hard drive might be right choice to many case / people....it just not right to me, I am an engineer working 30 years with various electronics equipment, I have the sixth sense to estimate how good or bad a hardware machine is.  Also this machine works well and fast enough for jobs of checking email/browsing online for my school kid. it can definitely work another 2-3 years.  Today' computer technology moving so fast and no point to catch up the latest tech if you don't really need to.  Anyway, this is personal choice, if you have tons of money it will be different story. 

HP Recommended

I am glad that your suspicion was correct and you proved it was a BIOS problem.  Sorry my suggestions were incorrect.  I have to admit I did know about the BIOS updates could be hidden, so to speak, as HP will only show the BIOS updates for a specific Windows OS and most times, if the PC has been updated to Windows 10, then no BIOS updates would be listed if you only check under Windows 10.  Also, what has been in the past, that many times the update will have a routine built in to not allow it to run under a different Windows version than it was listed under.  Evidentially that Windows 8 version ran OK under Windows 10.

Anyways, glad it has been resolved.  One thing nice about interacting between people in the forums, it seems something different can come up and we can learn from a difficult situation with some problem that is a rare happening.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@Sparker03 -- to add to what @TheOldMan wrote: the BIOS Update file downloaded from HP usually consists of two parts:

* the actual BIOS code that is to be loaded into the motherboard,

* a program to install the update.

The BIOS code is compatible with any operating system that the user chooses (Linux, Windows 7/8/10), but it is the program to install the update which depends on the operating system that is being used to run the installer.

For example, an installer designed to run under Windows 8 will first update a file on a "hidden" partition. This partition exists on every disk-drive that still contains the factory-installed (by HP) version of Windows 8.

If one has replaced the disk-drive, then that partition may not have been "cloned" from the old disk-drive.

So, the installer may "fail" to find that partition.

In such case, it may be possible to "reverse-engineer" the installer, to isolate the file that contains the actual BIOS code, and to enter BIOS SETUP to "apply" that file, to update the BIOS, even when there is NO operating system installed, or even when no disk-drive is attached.

If the installer is "designed for Windows 8", it probably will fail to find that "hidden partition" on a Windows 10 system. 

HP Recommended

Just for fun and learning, I downloaded the file sp70376 to look inside.  It just so happens that BIOS file can be broken apart and the ROM file can be used to flash with a compatible flasher or to even flash from DOS.  Some are not that user friendly.

Glad to know.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan -- Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up 

I would, if I could, but that icon has disappeared, probably due to a software upgrade of this forum's software.  😞

Anyway, it's good to see that the update worked a lot better than some BIOS Updates threads about failed updates, that appear within this forum.   🙂

HP Recommended

Pressing ESC when you start your pc and pressing it until after start it appears manu box. And find more detail about here : 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5-1400-mario apk-pc-series/5295965/model/5296502/document/c03517041

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.