Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
e9180t
Linux

Having an old Pavilion Elite e9180t I had picked up at a flea market, I was wondering if anyone figured out what component or components caused the crash/lockup problems with the Truckee motherboard based systems.  Mine only locks up every 3 or 4 days (with Linux Mint, 19.x and 20.x releases, and now Fedora 34), and I wondered if it was something that could be fixed by recapping or some similar fix?

Not that I'm going to put a lot of money into it, but it IS nice that I could use up all the 4G DDR3 DIMMs I had sitting around to bump it up to the maximum 24G memory (and replaced the proprietary disk bay with USB3 ports) and the card readers and AV ports were nice too.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jelabarre 

I'm sorry, but HP does not provide support for Linux distros.

IF you replace the preloaded Windows OS with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Your best bet for support now is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I was not asking for support on the operating system!  Did you even bother reading the question?

I was asking about the *HARDWARE* in the system, hardware that had been a subject of a CLASS ACTION suit, if you recall.  I had wondered if it was ultimately something that someone with higher-level technical skills could fix on their own.  When the machines were still new there would be an expectation that HP would correct their mistakes, and the flaw may not have been isolated at the time.  But in retrospect the defect may have been determined, and if it's simply a matter of replacing capacitors/resisters/etc, someone could repair it on their own.  Now, if it's in the firmware/chipsets, then that's beyond most of us (I certainly don't have the capability to write PROMs/EPROMs).

And no, I have no desire to install MSWindows, and I wouldn't expect HP to be supporting even THAT on this system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.