Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This computer to used run my Plex program.

My movies and shows are on the 10t external hard drive.

Running out of space and trying to add another external drive.

When both drives are connected - the computer will not reboot.

Have to disconnect the new drive - turn off the computer - wait a minute - turn back on.

The computer will boot with one external drive connected.

There are four USB 3.0 connections on the back panel.

Seems they would all have something connected and still be able to boot up correctly.

Please advise if anyone has ideas or solutions for this issue.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ran into this same issue on an older HP laptop and was unable to find a solution other than disconnecting the drive prior to reboot.

What MIGHT work is having all the drives connected, booting into the UEFI settings, checking the Boot tab and changing the order of the boot drives to force the proper drive to the top of the list.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I ran into this same issue on an older HP laptop and was unable to find a solution other than disconnecting the drive prior to reboot.

What MIGHT work is having all the drives connected, booting into the UEFI settings, checking the Boot tab and changing the order of the boot drives to force the proper drive to the top of the list.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I have tried to reset the bios however it seems impossible to boot up with two external hard drives attached. My solution is to replace the internal (D) hard drive and CD drive with two 18 tb internal drives.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.