Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion p7-1007c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Believe there was a large update last week.  Can't get to login screen in Win10.  Processor is AMD Phenom #521

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Screenshot attached

You omitted entering of a significant "blank" character before the string '/remove'. 

Also, I think that you missed a character after '/image:'

You should have typed:  dism.exe     /image: ...       /remove  ...

Quoting from that Microsoft web-page:

For 64-bit versions of Windows:

dism.exe

/image:c:\

/remove-package

/packagename: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Note: If Windows is not stored on the C: drive, replace the C: in the above commands with the appropriate drive letter.

The syntax is:  [slash] name [colon] string [blank]

or it is:                [slash] name [blank]

The keyword is '/image:'  and the value for that keyword is 'c:\'

Yes, it is confusing that a "colon" separates "name" from "value" *AND* a colon is a character within "string".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You're not the first to report these symptoms, caused by a "bad" Windows Update (released on Shrove Tuesday, February 13, 2018).

See: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/my-wireless-mouse-and-keyboard-...

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  The MSI link was educational, but did not solve the issue.

The Microsoft Support posting 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-f...

with full title "USB devices may stop working after installing the February 13, 2018 update (KB4074588)"

was also educational, but I was unsuccessful in removing the update.  Screenshot attached:

IMG_6929 (2).jpg

HP Recommended

I tried to restore to a restore point before the KB4074588 update (11 Feb 2018), but was unsuccessful.  The only other restore point (21 Feb 2018) was after the update.  I tried it and got a message that restoring was successful, but the same problem (USB ports not active) results upon bootup from the iso.exe file on the DVD used.

I have the 3 WIN 10 backup DVDs from when this desktop was upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to WIN 10, but would like to reset with the option to keep files (if not apps).    

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Within System Restore, there is a check-box for "show more restore points".

Did you click to check that box?

HP Recommended

IMG_6930.jpg

I do not see such a box / option.  When I opened System Restore today, however, there was a new (3rd) restore point listed, but it was after the 2/13/2018 update.  Photo of screen attached.

HP Recommended

> Screenshot attached

You omitted entering of a significant "blank" character before the string '/remove'. 

Also, I think that you missed a character after '/image:'

You should have typed:  dism.exe     /image: ...       /remove  ...

Quoting from that Microsoft web-page:

For 64-bit versions of Windows:

dism.exe

/image:c:\

/remove-package

/packagename: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Note: If Windows is not stored on the C: drive, replace the C: in the above commands with the appropriate drive letter.

The syntax is:  [slash] name [colon] string [blank]

or it is:                [slash] name [blank]

The keyword is '/image:'  and the value for that keyword is 'c:\'

Yes, it is confusing that a "colon" separates "name" from "value" *AND* a colon is a character within "string".

HP Recommended

Success!  Thank you for your patience and perseverance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.