Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700PC Series
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello

I bought HP ENVY 700xt Desktop | Intel Core i7  on May, 2014. I was using Window 8 and I reboot window since my computer was getting slower.

However I found out that I could not be able to locate window registeration key after reboot. Do you have any record from my computer serial number and product number to look up my window registeartion key?

I have all the email record from Costco on May, 2014.

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional informaiton.

Thank you

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>  After installing from recovery disk, it would not ask for window registration key because from recovery disk,

> it will recognize it as window I had long time ago?

Correct.  The original software for your hardware, with the product-key electronically embedded on the motherboard.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Beginning with Windows 8, the 25-character product-key ceased to be placed on a decal stuck on the outside of the computer's case.  Instead, that key is embedded into the motherboard.  When installing Windows 8, it will "peek" into the motherboard to find that key, and will use it.

There are several ways of displaying the key, if you are "curious" to find its value.  But, you don't need to know it.

> I was using Window 8 and I reboot window ...

What "installation media" did you use to reinstall Windows?

Did you use the hidden "System Recovery" partition on the original disk-drive?  If you did, it should automatically "peek" at the embedded key, and use it.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

HP Recommended

Thank your for the quick response.

I got additional questions.

When I look at the property of My computer, it stills showing that i did not get approval on registeration for window and showing registeration id. Looks like it is still waiting for me to put registeration key.

If I reboot again for window8, is there any option for me to choose so that I do not need to put any registeration key?

If I have to get registeration key, do I have to disassemble computer to get this information if there is any label inside?

I would appreciate your input.

Thank you

Brian

HP Recommended

>  When I look at the property of My computer, it stills showing that i did not get approval on registeration for window

> and showing registeration id. Looks like it is still waiting for me to put registeration key.

What source did you use to reinstall Windows?

Did you use the hidden "System Recovery" partition on the original disk-drive?

If you did, it would "activate" automatically.

What is the exact model-number of your computer?

With that information, it's possible to obtain a copy of the original factory-installed operating system.

> If I reboot again for window8, is there any option for me to choose so that I do not need to put any registeration key?

Do you mean "reboot", or "re-install" ?

If the latter, then selecting to boot from that "hidden" partition is what you should do.

> If I have to get registeration key, do I have to disassemble computer to get this information if there is any label inside?

The product-key is "electronically" stored.  You need to use a program to display the value.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

HP Recommended

Actually it was initialization of window. I downloaded window 8 and put it on USB for installation.

Is it too late to use "System Recovery" to activate automatically? If not, how can i use this information to reboot or re-install window to escapte this activation?

my model is HP  ENVY 700 PC series. I don't know this is what you are asking for.

Thank you

Brian

HP Recommended

>  Actually it was initialization of window. I downloaded window 8 and put it on USB for installation.

I understand that you downloaded the "retail" version of Windows 8, instead of the customized-by-HP version from HP's web-site.

Open a command-line prompt, and enter the command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Does it extract the product-key from your motherboard, and display it?

> Is it too late to use "System Recovery" to activate automatically?

Possibly.  When you installed from the USB, it may, or may not, have deleted that "hidden" partition.

> How can i re-install window to escapte this activation?

> my model is HP  ENVY 700 PC series.

Access: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-700-000-desktop-pc-series/5358989

to see:

Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB

USB-Windows 8 64-bit Recovery Kit

1. System Recovery Kit for Consumer Desktop
Order Media
N/A N/A
Oct 22, 2013 

2. System Recovery Kit for Consumer Notebook
Order Media
N/A N/A
Jun 21, 2013

As you can see, HP makes many models in the "series".

On that web-page, you can click "Order Media" to purchase the original factory-loaded version of Windows 8, which will "activate" automatically.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the link.

I will try to order it today so hopefully this will be resolve soon.

Is kit will be CD that will install recovery at the window 8 or outside of window?

Would it be straightforward to correcting this issue?

Thank you

Brian

HP Recommended

>  Is kit will be CD that will install recovery at the window 8 or outside of window?

It probably will be one 8GB USB memory-stick.

It is designed to be a "bootable" device, to be installed onto an "empty" disk-drive.

> Would it be straightforward to correcting this issue?

1. Backup your personal files to an external disk-drive. Include E-mail and bookmarks.

2. Take an inventory of the installed programs, e.g., Microsoft Office, Adobe, et cetera.

3. Shutdown the computer.

4. Connect the USB drive.

5. Power-on the computer, and choose to boot from the USB drive.

6. While installing, choose to delete all existing partitions on the disk-drive, to "blank" it out, thus removing all "junk" files & programs.

HP Recommended

To summarize what you are saying,

After installing from recovery disk, it would not ask for window registreation key because from recovery disk, it will recognize it as window I had long time ago?

The only concern I have is getting recovery disk and do all install and then having same result asking for window registeration key.

Thank you

Brian

HP Recommended

>  After installing from recovery disk, it would not ask for window registration key because from recovery disk,

> it will recognize it as window I had long time ago?

Correct.  The original software for your hardware, with the product-key electronically embedded on the motherboard.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.