Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys,  I have this old Windows 7 pc that was running Windows 10.  It was upgraded at some point and am sure it was installed as MBR because it was an inplace upgrade from Windows 7.  My question is, can I install in UEFI Mode as GPT with this BIOS?  I don't really need GPT but like to be consistent and possibly benefit from any other things GPT brings.

I'm still not so sure about some of these early UEFI Machines.  This one don't have any UEFI Settings, like turning on and off Legacy and CSM.  It does have Secure Boot, which is confusing to me? 

If I Turn Secure Boot On, and install using the MCT, will it install in UEFI as GPT?  or maybe with these old systems one needs to preformat as GPT to instal as GPT?

Thanks, pc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I assume by what this link says the answer to my question is NO?  But what then is the Secure Boot Entry in BIOS for?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I assume by what this link says the answer to my question is NO?  But what then is the Secure Boot Entry in BIOS for?

HP Recommended

Please help!  Here I am again with one of these same situations.  On the last computer which this thread started with I installed in Legacy and then the OS would not boot.  I Disabled UEFI and it booted.  The thing is, the OS was already on there and UEFI was activated, along with the Drive I was trying to install too.  So the question is, can I install as UEFI even though the computer came with Windows 7, even though it may not be Truly in UEFI Mode, perhaps I can install that way?

Thanks, pc

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.