Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-210ed
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows doesn't boot when I start my desktop pc. Instead, an error appears saying there's no boot device found and no operating system on my hard disk (3FO). I tried hard-resetting my pc as well as running some diagnostic tests (using UEFI), both as suggested online by HP Support, but to no avail.

HOWEVER, when I boot into the BIOS on startup (by pressing F10) and reset the BIOS to the default settings through the menu, then Windows magically boots! Only problem is, I have to go through this everytime I startup the desktop pc. Unless I reset the BIOS settings, Windows won't boot. 

I read about updating the BIOS or replacing the CMOS battery, but I would like to go over other options before I try that. The desktop pc had Windows 8 / 8.1 installed on it previously, by the way.

Also, the hard disk is recognized by the BIOS. Are there any options in the BIOS I could change to solve my problem?

I thought this could maybe have to do with updates that were installed, please see the screenshot below(in Dutch, unfortunately, although the package names are probably the same).

Really appreciate your help! 

WUpdate.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE: I found a solution!

Doing a Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment fixed the problem.

So it was most likely a problem in the boot sector of my hard disk drive.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

>  Are there any options in the BIOS I could change to solve my problem?

Is there any setting to "delay" for a short time, until the disk-drive becomes "ready" ?

It could be the situation that the disk-drive is not "ready", and you get the error-message,

but by entering BIOS SETUP, you are giving the disk-drive more seconds to become "ready".

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that and update you on the outcome.

It's strange however that this problem suddenly emerged, as it wasn't a problem before – no clue why.

HP Recommended

> It's strange however that this problem suddenly emerged, as it wasn't a problem before – no clue why.

It's not strange -- if your disk-drive is getting "worn-out", and, as a result, slower to get from "not spinning" to "ready", then it is not strange that "suddenly" some threshold has now been exceeded.

Compare to a worn-out automobile tire -- "suddenly" you notice that it is worn out to the point where the "wear-bars" are showing.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the explanation! Unfortunately, delaying startup time did not work.
HP Recommended

> Windows doesn't boot when I start my desktop PC.

> Instead, an error appears saying there's no boot device found, and no operating system on my hard disk (3FO).

VERSUS:

> Also, the hard disk is recognized by the BIOS.

Those two statements are contradictory, and implies a "flaky" disk-drive.

Before the current disk-drive *ALWAYS* fails to boot, I would purchase a new disk-drive, and "clone" (byte-by-byte) from the current disk-drive to the new disk-drive, and then boot from the new disk-drive.

HP Recommended

Thanks mdklassen for your suggestion. I think you're right and something about the disk is off. I tried everything else and haven't fixed it. Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

UPDATE: I found a solution!

Doing a Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment fixed the problem.

So it was most likely a problem in the boot sector of my hard disk drive.

HP Recommended

Do you have an update as to whether or not your solution has persisted?

-buk10m-
HP Recommended
Yes, the solution persisted; the problem hasn't returned! I guess the boot sector fix did it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.