Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 23-q130na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hard drive appears to be faulty, and I want to run Linux from a USB drive, so that I can retrieve my files.

I have set up the (American Megatrends) BIOS as follows:

Secure Boot Config:

Legacy support  -  Enabled

Secure Boot  -  Disabled.

F10

Boot Order:

UEFI Boot Sources  -  Disabled

Legacy Boot Sources:

USB Floppy/CD

F10

Save changes and Exit

When I boot I get SMART Hard Disk Error, and HP diagnostics.

But I don't want to use the Hard Disk for startup, I want to use the USB.

The USB contains Linux Mint Live ISO and works on other machine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There should be an entry for USB (without the Floppy/CD) if the flash drive is actually bootable and inserted in a USB port.

Try that approach.

Did the other PC actually boot to the USB flash drive and run Linux Mint Live?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Interesting that you were able to make the setup in the BIOS and not continue with the boot options.

Here is a trick I use when things try to interfere with boot options.

Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Set Up from that popup menu, F9.
If the USB is bootable, it will show in the menu.  Make the USB the first item and then save.

It should then boot from the Linux Mint Live. BTW: you are doing the best way I would recommend, when asked - just make sure there is media attached IE: external hard drive or BIG capacity USB drive to hold the files that are being saved from the failed hard drive.

Post back if additional help is needed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

That doesn't work for me.

The ESC key gets me into the BIOS setup OK, and I am able to change varuious settings.

Disable Fast Start.

I set Secure Boot Config to Legacy Support and disable Secure Boot.

Boot Order to Leagcy Boot Sources > USB Floppy/CD.

Set my settings to Default.

Save and Exit.

It seems the BIOS is customized for HP computer.

HP Recommended

There should be an entry for USB (without the Floppy/CD) if the flash drive is actually bootable and inserted in a USB port.

Try that approach.

Did the other PC actually boot to the USB flash drive and run Linux Mint Live?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes I agree, the actual USB drive should show up - but it doesn't.

The other computer booted the same USB stick into Live LM.

HP Recommended

Looks like one of my USB slots is defective (it was OK yesterday!).

Now the USB Drive comes up in BOOT ORDER under Hard Drive and Live LM boots up when I set it to first place.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it is sorted out and working.

Good that I was able to help.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Do you by chance know how to get the secure boot disabled so that I can enable the legacy boot ? I can not boot from secure with the USB and it is not letting me change it in BIOS? At a loss here. Any help would be so appreciated! 

HP Recommended

how did you get the Legacy boot enabled? I need to disable the Secure boot and enable the secure boot but it will not allow me too? I am trying to boot with a USB not floppy? 

Thank you! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.