Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZZ620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New to me is a Z620 with 2 TB 7200 Seagate ST2000DM001 drive.  BIOS is version J61 v03.96 which is the latest (after I did an update),  32GB memory and a Quadro 4000 video card.  I do have BIOS changes so that I can run VirtualBox and slot 2 set hard set to Gen 2 for the Quadro.

It takes "forever" to boot.  These are the timings:

(note that I have a 10 second boot startup set in the BIOS but I never see any BIOS screens)

0 sec - power button

20 sec - full fan noise

90 sec - fan noise down

92 sec - the Windows COD (circle of dots) - then quickly get login prompt

This is slower than my old HP XW8400s.

Is this as expected?  Anything easy that I can do (and no - not Linux) which will have a real impact on boot time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI Oldserverguy,

These HP Z series workstations generally take longer to boot compared to 'commercial' PC's as these systems are designed for 24/7 operation and maximum stability/reliability. The more hardware, (e.g. RAM, onboard RAID controllers, multiple SSD/HDD drives, external USB devices, etc.), the longer will be the POST (Power On Self Test) boot. You can reduce the boot time by disabling any unused motherboard features. i.e. are you using the onboard serial port, RAID controllers, etc.

You could look at disabling the following in the BIOS;

Security\Slot Security - Disable any unused PCIe/PCI slots
Slot 1 - PCI Express x1: Disable
Slot 2 - PCI Express x16: Enable
Slot 3 - PCI Express x4: Disable
Slot 4 - PCI Express x8: Enable
Slot 5 - PCI Express x16: Enable
Slot 6 - PCI: Disable

Security\Device Security - Disable any unused integrated hardware
Azalia HD Audio: Device hidden (Note: I use an external USB sound module)
1394 Controller: Device hidden
Serial Port A: Device hidden

You can also disable these settings

Advanced\Power-On Options
Option ROM Prompt: Disable
Mini Option ROM Display: Disable

Advanced\Device Options
NIC Option ROM Download: Disable
NIC1 Option ROM Download: Disable

On my Z620 system, (with the configuration listed below), still takes about 70 - 75 seconds to reach the Windows COD.

The maintenance and service guide has a detailed overview of all the BIOS settings and tons of other useful information; HP Z620 Support Page

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you can replace the Seagate platter HDD with a SATA SSD drive.

Clone the operating system to the new SATA.

This action will greatly improve boot time and system responsiveness.

Regards

HP Recommended

HI Oldserverguy,

These HP Z series workstations generally take longer to boot compared to 'commercial' PC's as these systems are designed for 24/7 operation and maximum stability/reliability. The more hardware, (e.g. RAM, onboard RAID controllers, multiple SSD/HDD drives, external USB devices, etc.), the longer will be the POST (Power On Self Test) boot. You can reduce the boot time by disabling any unused motherboard features. i.e. are you using the onboard serial port, RAID controllers, etc.

You could look at disabling the following in the BIOS;

Security\Slot Security - Disable any unused PCIe/PCI slots
Slot 1 - PCI Express x1: Disable
Slot 2 - PCI Express x16: Enable
Slot 3 - PCI Express x4: Disable
Slot 4 - PCI Express x8: Enable
Slot 5 - PCI Express x16: Enable
Slot 6 - PCI: Disable

Security\Device Security - Disable any unused integrated hardware
Azalia HD Audio: Device hidden (Note: I use an external USB sound module)
1394 Controller: Device hidden
Serial Port A: Device hidden

You can also disable these settings

Advanced\Power-On Options
Option ROM Prompt: Disable
Mini Option ROM Display: Disable

Advanced\Device Options
NIC Option ROM Download: Disable
NIC1 Option ROM Download: Disable

On my Z620 system, (with the configuration listed below), still takes about 70 - 75 seconds to reach the Windows COD.

The maintenance and service guide has a detailed overview of all the BIOS settings and tons of other useful information; HP Z620 Support Page

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Wow - 28 seconds until the M$ circle now and I didn't do the device security yet.  I already turned off AMT so I think disabling it's NIC would fine.  Think I'll leave the rest alone even though I'm not running raid like one of my XW8400.

Question - where is a good documentation source for the current BIOS?

Z620-device-security-BIOS.jpg

HP Recommended

Go to the HP Z620 Support page and click on the link for the Software, Drivers and Firmware. Click on the BIOS option, then click on the HP Z420/Z620 Workstations System BIOS text. The window will expand to display information on the current BIOS;

BIOS details.JPG

You can also view previous BIOS files by clicking on the Previous version link.

Using the See Full Details link for the latest BIOS; https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z620-workstation/5225037/swItemId/wk-2... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.