Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-in-one PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Envy 23 desktop pc (64-bit windows 10, 8GB memory, Intel i7 core)  has been working perfectly until a power outage yesterday. When the power was restored, I tried turning on my PC, but it would not boot. It displayed the error message: "boot device not found." Is there anyway to fix this issue?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

A power outage can cause two different issues:

1. Hardware failure

2. Operating system file corruption

1. Run HP Diagnostics. Start the PC, tap "ESC", select "F2". Run system tests.

2. I will not detail system file problem troubleshooting until you determine the hardware is okay. System file problems require running Windows boot media, Windows repair options, and possible operating system re-installation.

Regards

HP Recommended

When I ran the hard drive optimized DST check, it failed with ID: 9G86XL-732A81-QFFV6J-61UU03

All other UEFI diagnostic tests showed no error messages.

HP Recommended

Hi,

This error seems to indicate the HDD is okay (HDD checksum is good, the HDD is optimized). I can only guess the operating system is corrupted.

Check this site and links for troubleshooting steps if the operating system is messed up (Link).

You may have to back up data and reinstall the operating system.

Backing up data may require removing the operating system disk, installing the disk as a data drive on a different PC to access user data for backup.

A corrupted Windows image usually results in the Windows logo at startup with a spinning circle of dots which never result in a successful Windows desktop. Sometimes you will get a blue screen error message with or without an error result. A bad HDD usually yields a boot disk error message such as "boot device not found".

So HP diagnostics indicates the drive may be okay but the startup error seems to indicate the HDD may have failed.

I am not sure what is going on in your situation.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.