Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq

i've got a computer that the OS crashed on, i wiped and when to install another windows on it. however, ive got win 10 on a usb drive, and i have a product key for it. its just not wanting to load it up at all. i've tried changing the boot up order, nothing. im at a lost here on how to install it. i dont have the orginal disk for it, just my backup of win 10

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

> I've got win 10 on a USB drive, and I have a product key for it. 

Since your computer was running Windows 10, you have been granted a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, at any time, at no cost, onto the same computer.

See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

to download the "1709 Windows 10 Fall Creators Update", and to write it to an 8GB USB memory-stick, or to "burn" it to one DVD-writeable media.

Then, boot your computer from that media.

When prompted to enter the 25-character product-key, click "I do not have one".

Windows will complete the install.

When Windows detects an Internet connection, it will leverage your entitlement, and automatically "activate", i.e., no need to enter any product-key.

Then, run Windows Update, to download & install all the latest security-updates (including today's -- being the 2nd Tuesday of the month).

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.