Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp pro 3400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

need help finding a bios update please, specs and reason below

i5 2500k

16gb ram

mobo - foxconn 2abf

bios version 7.15

reason is i am having issues instaling a gpu (gtx760) , This is a spare pc , i have tested the gpu in my main sytem and have confirmed it is working fine . On this hp pro 3400 i cannot boot when gpu is plugged in , i get a black screen with blinking underscore. any help would be great, Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The latest BIOS version for your PC is 7.16.   It was only written to be run on W7.

Updating the BIOS to 7.16 would not make any difference because in order to run any Nvidia card beyond a GT(X) 6xx series in a HP PC, your PC would need to have a BIOS version 8.1x or newer.

Now, if you want to go through this routine every time you start the PC, you may be able to get the video card to work, but you may have to update the BIOS to v7.16, and I have no idea what will happen if you try to run the W7 BIOS update on W10.

How I got GeForce GTX to work on Cupertino2 - YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The latest BIOS version for your PC is 7.16.   It was only written to be run on W7.

Updating the BIOS to 7.16 would not make any difference because in order to run any Nvidia card beyond a GT(X) 6xx series in a HP PC, your PC would need to have a BIOS version 8.1x or newer.

Now, if you want to go through this routine every time you start the PC, you may be able to get the video card to work, but you may have to update the BIOS to v7.16, and I have no idea what will happen if you try to run the W7 BIOS update on W10.

How I got GeForce GTX to work on Cupertino2 - YouTube

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the reply, I followed steps in that video and seems to be working so far, at least I can boot now, thanks for your help, now I just need to find a decent lga 1155 Motherboard that supports most gpus 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would get one that supports the Intel 4th generation or newer processors.

A motherboard such as that would support the newer video cards because they will have the BIOS version needed to support such cards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.