Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProLiant ML310e Gen8
Other

I need to boot my HP ProLiant (ML310e Gen8) to the internal SATA port.

I'm repurposing the server as a TrueNAS backup target.  I set the hot-swap cage to AHCI instead of RAID, and the OS boots from mobo SATA port 6.

The BIOS offers "Boot from hard drive" without giving the option to select which drive or specify order.  This means the server insists on attempting to boot from the drives in the hot-swap cage, which contain no bootable partitions...they're mass storage.

The OS drive is an internal SSD and boots properly if none of the hot-swap drives are connected.  But if there's a power outage, or if I need to reboot remotely, I must get someone to pop the drives first.  And putting aside how wasteful that is (and hardware wear & tear), it's a terrible idea to put non-technical people in that situation. 

This question describes perfectly what I'm asking.  The link suggested in it is dead.  I've found surprisingly few results on this around the web.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP split into two companies several years ago.

HP supports PC's, printers, tablets and calculators.

HP Enterprise (HPE) supports servers, switches, routers and tape drives.

You may also want to post your question on the HPE Community support forum--Proliant servers section...

ProLiant Servers – ML, DL, SL Forum | HPE Blogs, Discussions and Forums Community

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.