cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jthomasv
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

can I use 120W power adapter instead of 135W power adater on HP EliteDesk 800 g1?

HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

can I use 120W power adapter instead of 135W power adater on HP EliteDesk 800 g1?

2 REPLIES 2
RobBenjamin
4 4 0 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Assuming the adapter is genuion HP,  If you have it I would say try it and see what happens.  I believe the genuion OEM adapters have some smarts in them.  I have used high and low capacity ones with my Zbook.  The lower ones report they are not optimal, but still work.  We have a lot of EliteDesk computers.  I've gotten them switched before with out damage.  Like plugging a 65W into a machine that normaly uses a 135W.  Machine just did not turn on.

It also depends on how much the unit uses and options.  If it has a fast processor, maxed on memory, CD drive, and powering lots of USB devices, then yeah you might have a problem.  FYI each USB port is capable of supplying 5 Vdc at 0.5 amps.  So if 6 USB ports were used at max, that would be 15 watts.

0 Kudos
Grizzlys2k
Level 7
319 315 30 54
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can try it and see if you are experiencing any issues...like drop in performance...or like the coleague said below...it wont start.

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation