Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
24-r114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a fairly new al l-in-one 24-r114 (warranty expired 2/2020), it suddenly is not booting. I tried to enter setup but after power up and pressing F10, ESC, or F8, all I got is a screen showing the Processor type, memory, BIOS version ( (8448 VF.10 10/26/2018). On the bottom of the screen, it shows "Press the ESC key for startup menu", on the lower right corner , there is a "Startup". Nothing happens when I press ESC and I tried multiple good keyboards. Help will be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Getting to the setup menu sometimes is tricky

Start tapping the Esc key and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows.  Then pick the setup menu from that menu.  F10, however, I would recommend that you run the Diagnostics from that menu F2.  That will tell if anything has happened to the hardware.  I would especially be curious about the hard drive to see if it passes the testing.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I am still not able to enter Start Menu. Tapping ESC got me into the same place every time (display processor type, memory, BIOS version, bottom of screen shows Press ESC to enter Startup, lower right Startup Menu), but I can go no further.

HP Recommended

It is very specific.  Start tapping ESC before starting the computer, then keep tapping the ESC and start the computer while still tapping the ESc key until a popup menu shows.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks again, unfortunately, still no luck. I had to remove the hard drive yesterday so people can have access today. Now that I have opened the thing up, I think I will try to remove the CMOS and see if it makes any difference.

HP Recommended

So, if you followed the directions and still did not get the popup menu where the diagnostics could be run, then the keyboard is not being recognized.  With the hard drive removed, it has nowhere to go.

BTW: why do you need to get in the Setup Menu?  Try booting to a USB stick with a Live Linux and check everything inside the Live Linux to see if everything works.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi, I already tried booting from USB, but the problem is it never got far enough to try to boot. It does recognize the keyboard, as if I do not touch the ESC key, it does nothing (the black light came on), but if I do ESC or F10 (so it recognize more than one key) the information screen will come up every time  (Processor, memory, BIOS version...). It just appears that it does not recognize any key after the information screen (it says ESC key to enter Startup Menu). I have disconnected every thing tried various known good keyboard, wire and wireless, different USB port. The only thing I can think of is somehow BIOS get mess up that's why I want to do a CMOS reset. BTW, if BIOS/Startup is working, when there is no bot device, it should either beep or display No Boot device found, but it did neither, it just sit there with the information screen. As there is no beep even without KB, mouse, I don't think it even POSTed.

HP Recommended

That is strange indeed.  I have not come across that before.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Have the same unit in for service with the same issue.  Did you ever resolve?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.