Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z4g4
Linux

i have my hp Z4G4 running as a server with unraid/linux booting from a usb drive. every time i reboot i have to click boot from file and manualy slekt the os. if i try to boot from the disk it just fales.

is ther any way to atomate this or other sulusion.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@noooooob -- I am not familiar with the flavour of Linux that you are running, but does that "boot-manager" allow you to set a time-limit before booting from the default device, if you do not interact with the boot-manager before the time-limit expires?

HP Recommended

in my hp bios i can set a startup delay. is this what you mean

HP Recommended

@noooooob -- in my hp bios i can set a startup delay. is this what you mean?

No. That delay is to accommodate disk-drives that are "slow" to indicate that they are ready to work, after the disk-drive is powered-on.

What I meant is that the "boot-manager" should be able to configure a "count-down" timer, e.g., "if you do not make a selection within NNN seconds, then your "default" operating system will be launched".

HP Recommended

It looks like Unraid is designed to work from a USB flash drive, is that correct?

If that is the case, there are a few things I would try:

1. Make sure your USB drive is flagged as "bootable" - You can do this through diskpart on Windows or gdisk on Linux

2. Make sure the boot order on your system is configured to boot from USB Drives first (BIOS Menu->Advanced->Boot Options)

3. Make sure your USB is formatted as FAT32

4. Make sure your computer is set to "Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Disable" (BIOS Menu->Advanced->Secure Boot Configuration)

5. Make sure your BIOS is up-to-date

6. Re-format and re-copy the files onto your USB drive

If none of that works, I would try a different USB drive from a different manufacturer. Sometimes some USB flash drives just don't work as USB boot devices for whatever reason.

--I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.