Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Been using windows 10 for a while but the other day I get a red screen with the following message: "invalid signature detected . check secure boot policy in setup".

The only way is to get in the BIOS and apply default settings then it boots up windows normally.

However,  I have to do this after every shutdown. I have tried disabling secureboot and enabling legacy boot but this doesnt work at all.  I havent installed any new hardware or software.

Can any expert shed some light on this please?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Den05

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you get an error  "invalid signature detected. Check secure boot policy in setup" on your HP computer. You have disables Secure boot and issue still persists. BIOS defaults helps to boot into Windows and after a restart, the issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I read that you haven't made any changes to the computer and the issue started. I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

Meanwhile, please review the steps from this link as it might help. If the error continues to appear then I recommend to recover/rollback the BIOS on your HP computer.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know what happens. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Dear Kazi

Many thanks for your assistance. Just for information the computer belongs to an elderly lady whom I am trying to help. having said that it will take some time to get the serial number.

I had already visited the link you sent and had followed the instructions in "Using Secure Boot on a desktop computer". On restarting I had to enter the four digit code and press enter. At that point the computer would freeze and only a restart would suffice. The restart got me back to the 'invalid signature...' screen.

Entering the BIOS and 'applying defaults and exiting' then gets me back into windows BUT only till the next restart. It seems to me that the BIOS does not save and retain the 'apply defaults' setting.

I'm not sure what to try next? I know there is a recovery partition on 😧 drive. Not sure if this factory reset condition would solve the problem. I have already taken the precaution of backing up all data.

Would a HP factory reset/recovery work?

thanks for any advise.

Regards

Den05

HP Recommended

@Den05

You are welcome. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

A system recovery or reset may not help in this case. This is something related to BIOS. 

Did you try to recovery/rollback the BIOS as suggested in the links in my previous post? 

Secondly, if the issue persists after recovering or rolling back the BIOS, then perform BIOS defaults again and let the computer boot into Windows. Once you are in Windows, please update the BIOS via link: www.hp.com/drivers

NOTE: You seed to enter the correct computer model no. and select the correct operating system to download the correct BIOS update.

I'll watch for your response. Let me know. 

HP Recommended

Hi Kazi

Tried all your suggestions but nothing has worked.  The only thing I am not sure about is the BIOS update bit. All I could see after entering serial and product number, were drivers for everything except BIOS. Unless that is in the chipset drivers. If so, I did update those drivers too through the support assistant. Still wont boot into windows unless I go into BIOS and apply defaults and exist. This is everytime I restart the computer.

The Win logo + B key route does nothing. Now not sure what to try next? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@Den05

You're welcome and thanks for attempting the suggested steps.

You could use the  Win logo + V key instead and check if it helps.

If issue persists then you may need to disable the "Secure Boot" and Enable the "Legacy Support" in the BIOS. Please see the below links:

I suggest you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options if the above steps fail to fix the issue. 

Do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Kazi

Thanks for the ongoing help. But so far I have tried the following without success:

1) Changed MoBo battery. CR2032
2) Disabled secure boot and enabled Legacy boot
3) Win logo key + B with Power on
4) Ran HP Hardware diagnostics UEFI
5) Cleared Secure keys

Computer only starts by Escape into BIOS and 'Applying defaults and exiting.' But this has to be done each time computer is switched on.

I cannot phone HP as it says the computer is out of warranty. i think it is about 3 years old. i'm convinced there is nothing wrong with the hardware and that it an UEFI boot problem. But I am at a loss now about what other route to try.

I do not think the BIOS was ever updated nor has there been an update for it since it was purchased.

Any thing else I can try?  

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Den05

You're welcome. 🙂

We can attempt a BIOS update. If you could let me know the exact product model no. I can search and send you the BIOS update link if its available. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l.

Alternately, you can search for the BIOS update via this link: www/hp.com/drivers.

I suggest you refer to these below link also:

Keep me posted Thank you. 

HP Recommended

Hello kazi

Thanks for persevering with this problem. 

I cannot get to the link you sent for the BIOS update but did get to the drivers page by entering the model number. I have been to this page before and could see everything except  a BIOS feature. I did an updateof the chipset drivers successfully. That did not help.

The model number is 110-304NA and product number is J2F56EA#ABU.

I have already followed instructions as to how to do a BIOS update but, of course I cannot get the win logo key + B (or V) to work. I believeif there is a bios update I can download the file and get to it  through the setup menu. There is an option there to run UEFI Application. I tried this going to HDD > EFI > Boot > Bootx64.efi. This was the only option that did anything. 

For what it's worth this application did boot into windows but the same problem manifested itself at next boot.

Thanks for your continued support. Much appreciated.

Den

HP Recommended

@Den05

Hi Den, the pleasure is all mine. 

Thanks for sharing the PC model no. I must say that you have a very sound technical knowledge. 🙂

I did some research and could not locate the BIOS update for Win10 OS. There is a BIOS update available for older versions of Windows like Win8. 

I suggest you to update the chipset drivers and check if it helps. Post chipset drivers update if the issue persists then you may try a system recovery, but I'm skeptical if system recovery will fix this.

Please visit this link to know more about performing system recovery

I hope these steps help. If the issue persists then it's better to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options. Keep me posted. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.