Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello,

I just bought an SSD crucial  MX500 for my workstation and i made some research about it and it turned out that there is something called "momentum cache" that i can do to the ssd which multiplies the write and read speeds to almost the double only on the boot drive.

I have a Z820 workstation with windows 10 pro 112gb ram

so im wondering is it safe for me to do momentum cache for my device or is it not worth it and unsafe?

Thank you in advance for considering my question.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

sorry @Abdalla11 

I didn't specify, it was to show @BeemerBiker  that it actually worked, also for me with mentioned SSD
compatibility with others as mentioned is not guaranteed

I can only test on my storage SSD, here, and I honestly don't know if it makes a difference yet
there are various crucial links, but I did not have time to read them all
the only certain thing is that if we have a problem we risk losing data, but this is also the case if we do not have this application
For the moment I am not able to say, if it is worth the risk / gain ratio ..
But if you have an m2 SSD, just like me, the main disk used, I have a doubt of the usefulness..
But you should read all the information available.
I saw this for example:

Why is Momentum Cache not making as much difference as expected?

Momentum Cache only impacts write operations, not read operations. Read speeds should not be affected by Momentum Cache. Additionally, other system resources such as memory speed, CPU speed (which usually changes dynamically), power saving modes, and SATA drivers are likely to impact your feature performance. In addition, the effects of Momentum Cache do not necessarily appear in all benchmarks. Momentum Cache will have no noticeable impact on systems with less than 6 GB of available RAM. Enabling software encryption, with BitLocker in Windows® 7 for example, will significantly reduce the effectiveness of Momentum Cache. Finally, high-capacity SSDs write data faster by simultaneously addressing more components, reducing the improvements offered by caching.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Thanks for mentioning this product. 

From reading about it here it seems it will work on other products, not just Crucial

I currently use Primo Cache on a Z400 that has a m.2 in a PCIe x4 slot.  Primo sets aside a small amount of memory  to use with the M.2 so basically I suspect it does the same "momentum caching" as the Crucial app.

I am going to try it on a z270 chipset motherboard and see if it can be used with a non-crucial m.2

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

i did some more research on the crucial product and fortunately the MX500 version does have the DRAM which works like a ram for the pc but for the ssd but the only downside of this issue is that its not reliable for data storage and has a percentage of risk that the data written by the dram would be lost but doesnt happen often. 

so im not sure about doing it or not to be honest. 

any replies.

HP Recommended

Did not work on my "Sabrent Rocket nano" m.2

I do have crucial memory but I guess that does not count.

BeemerBiker_0-1669221110772.png

The Sabrent Rocket nano shows the following performance

BeemerBiker_1-1669221216261.png

[edit]

It also failed to work on system with  "WD Blue SN570 1TB"

HP Recommended

yes i noticed but i'm thinking maybe because the m.2 is already fast enough and doesnt have a Dram unlike a normal NVME SSD which is the 2.5" drive.

usually the 2.5" SSD has a lower writing and reading speeds of about 500 to 600 mb/s.

Abdalla11_0-1669222549132.png

this is before momentum caching.

The numbers displayed are pretty standard and expected.

HP Recommended

hi

https://uk.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/storage-executive-faq

https://uk.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/overview-crucial-storage-executive

Storage Executive is compatible with the Crucial M500, M550, MX-series, BX-series SSDs, and the P series of SSDs, and diagnostic features of the tool are compatible with Crucial's X-series Portable SSDs. Limited functionality may be provided in older Crucial models or non-Crucial storage devices, but is not guaranteed or supported by Crucial.

test it

Capture d’écran 2022-11-23 201426.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

hi promethee,

I have this applicaiton already downloaded my question here was

"is doing a momentum cache worth it and is it safe considering my pc specs or do i just waive off the idea?" 

Taking into consideration im using alot of solidworks for 3D designs.

bearing in mind when i will do a momentum cache i will definitely do it on my boot drive only not on my storage drive.

HP Recommended

sorry @Abdalla11 

I didn't specify, it was to show @BeemerBiker  that it actually worked, also for me with mentioned SSD
compatibility with others as mentioned is not guaranteed

I can only test on my storage SSD, here, and I honestly don't know if it makes a difference yet
there are various crucial links, but I did not have time to read them all
the only certain thing is that if we have a problem we risk losing data, but this is also the case if we do not have this application
For the moment I am not able to say, if it is worth the risk / gain ratio ..
But if you have an m2 SSD, just like me, the main disk used, I have a doubt of the usefulness..
But you should read all the information available.
I saw this for example:

Why is Momentum Cache not making as much difference as expected?

Momentum Cache only impacts write operations, not read operations. Read speeds should not be affected by Momentum Cache. Additionally, other system resources such as memory speed, CPU speed (which usually changes dynamically), power saving modes, and SATA drivers are likely to impact your feature performance. In addition, the effects of Momentum Cache do not necessarily appear in all benchmarks. Momentum Cache will have no noticeable impact on systems with less than 6 GB of available RAM. Enabling software encryption, with BitLocker in Windows® 7 for example, will significantly reduce the effectiveness of Momentum Cache. Finally, high-capacity SSDs write data faster by simultaneously addressing more components, reducing the improvements offered by caching.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée  can you run crystal disk mark and get a before and after test of the improvement?

I do not have an SSD that the momentum cache works witih.

HP Recommended

hi

download not working?

so i have to use this

https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskmark/

[edit]

I'm going to need a little time, I don't know this program at all
And there seem to be different options, so what to test is the most realistic?
there I did two tests, without , default profile option and then I saw "real performance"

off.png

réelles .png

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.