Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2123
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 2 p6-2123 Pavillion desktops.  Both were upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home 3 years ago when Microsoft offered it for free.  Both have worked well with Windows 10.  However, after the last Windows update one of them failed to boot when restarted.  The BIOS cannot be accessed nor can anything else.  Keystrokes do nothing.  After the initial splash screen it stops at a screen that says "Default BIOS settings have been loaded."  I have tried the "Recovering the BIOS using key press combination" method found in another post to no avail.

I want to re-flash the BIOS using a USB flash drive.  The computer came with BIOS version 7.16.  At some point during or after the upgrade to Windows 10 the BIOS changed to AMI 7.17 2/12/2012 revision.  The change was transparent to me.  That version shows on the screen that has the message "Default BIOS settings have been loaded."

Here's where the problem lies.  I cannot find this BIOS version to download.  HP has only the 7.16 version for Windows 7.  They do not support Windows 10 for this computer.  I even tried on my other computer to let HP identify the product to find the correct BIOS but it still shows only WIndows 7 and the 7.16 version.

Ideally, I'd like to re-flash it with the 7.17 BIOS.  If I can't I guess I can use the 7.16 version,  I have Windows 7 on the original hard drive [not currently installed] and Windows 10 on another drive that is installed.  If I go the route of using the 7.16 I assume that I can do an "inplace" upgrade to Windows 10 which would be akin to when I upgraded the first time.  Then Microsoft would probably upgrade the BIOS back to 7.17.

Another thought is to extract the BIOS from my working computer and use it if that's possible.  I haven't found anything that says that it is.

Is there a way to get the AMI 7.17 BIOS download?  HP requires the product ID to reveal the download file.  So I would need that information from a computer that uses that BIOS.

Any Ideas?  Let me know.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@oldlefty

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. there is no BIOS driver for the Windows 7 operating system. 

The best way to fix this issue would be reinstalling the original windows operating system when a fresh window installed the bios issue will be fixed. 
Click here to perform a system recovery.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

A system recovery is not possible.  The computer does not boot and the BIOS cannot be accessed.  There is a BIOS for Windows 7 which came installed on this computer.  It is 7.16 [sp56122].  As already explained I have upgraded to Windows 10 and the BIOS was changed by the upgrade to AMI 7.17 2/12/2012 revision.

The BIOS cannot be accessed and nothing else can be done with the computer.  I am looking to get the AMI 7.17 BIOS as it shows as the existing BIOS and is also the same on another identical computer that I have.

HP Recommended

@oldlefty
For this computer, only 7.16 BIOS version update is available on HP website. However, your computer updated to a latest windows 10 the bios 7.17 version is installed and it's not available to download. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.