Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My company bought 3 of these desktops to use as sales terminals.  ever since getting them all three computers have the same issue:  if the computer has been off for any length of time, the first time you turn it on to boot up the computer does not find the hard drive, it tries to do a network boot and then says "missing system disk".   it seems to be a common problem and is addressed by Microsoft (among others) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-boot-twice-to-get-windows-10-going/c... basically there is an incompatibility between windows and the "fast boot" system by Microsoft.  they tell you to disable the fast boot system in the power menu and i did that on all three computers.  i also upgraded to the latest bios provided by HP and the latest drivers using the HP Support Assistant.  it has not made a difference.  you need to boot once, turn them off, and boot again.

has anyone found a real fix for this?  my next step is to reinstall the operating system, but i am afraid it won't make a difference.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@AlexZZ 

First off, despite what you said, the issue is not Fast Boot; instead, it is FastStartup.  The first is a BIOS boot option; the second is a windows Hibernation setting. 

Second, you can fully disable hibernation and that should prevent the PC from even trying to hibernate, as follows:

1. you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. ...
  3. Now just exit out of command prompt.

Hopefully, that will help

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  unfortunately this did not fix the problem. 

on all three computers i launched the command prompt as the administrator and disabled hibernation as you suggested.  after having the computers off over night they exhibited the same behavior of having to start and then restart them to get windows to boot. 

the interesting (maddening?) aspect is that if i just shut down the computers and boot them up seconds later they boot fine.  if they sit for any length of time turned off then they need to be started twice. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.