Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion mini 300-240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

while trying to check for windows 11 compatibility on my pc . I got a message that my pc is not compatible.  

The message " This PC can't run Windows 11: The PC must support secure boot"

what does that mean?   Please help!!

Thanks,

Krish.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Enter BIOS SETUP, and see if you can enable "secure boot".

However, doing so might possibly cause your computer to NOT be able to boot into Windows. Maybe.

HP Recommended

Thanks! will try after backing up my date.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Kris2498 

I would not be overly concerned at this point regarding the Microsoft PC health checker reporting your PC can't run W11.

I found this document regarding hard and soft floor system requirements, so we are just going to have to wait and see what happens when we actually try to upgrade older PC's to W11...

Compatibility for Windows 11- Compatibility Cookbook | Microsoft Docs

According to the above document, you may be able to upgrade to W11 as long as your PC meets the hard floor requirements.

HP Recommended

Thanks! That document was helpful. I shall go by your advise and wait..

Thank you once again..

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I also advise against trying to enable secure boot unless you installed Windows in EFI mode.

You can refer to this discussion for the reason why...

Solved: Re: Can't enable secure boot (Windows 10, HP Compaq Elite 83... - HP Support Community - 809...

HP Recommended

thanks! that was helpful

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

HP Recommended

@Kris2498 

You need to know EVERYTHING that your system lacks for Windows 11, not just what the MS tool tells you.

Here is a link to a third-party tool that will check all the currently known requirements for Windows 11 and tell you what fails on your PC: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

Do NOT try to download this using MS Edge as it flags it as malware -- which it is NOT -- use a different Browser instead.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.