Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dc7700

Hello. have two DC7700 pc's. One has two hynix 2gb 2rx8 pc2-6400u-666-12 ram cards, (4GB) and works fine. I got two more ram card of the same manufacturer and part number and tried to upgrade. If I plug any of the new ram into my pc, with all other ram removed, I get a beeping and red light at power on. I now have six of the new ram cards and all do the same. What is wrong?  With the same ram as what already works/runs in my pc now, what could be different? With six new cards, they can't all be bad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have solved my ram upgrade issue. I found I can only use DELL snpyg410c/2g or Kingston KTD-dm8400c6/2g (2gb ram cards) in my HP DC7700.   Thanks for your help, see if this helps anyone else.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@gman77, welcome to the forum.

Which is your model - Convertible Minitower, Ultra-slim Desktop or Small Form Factor?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

the pc is a small form factor running an intel pentium D, 3.4ghz

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @gman77!

I suggest that you clear the CMOS (prn. see-moss).  Here is the Troubleshooting Guide for the computer.  In Appendix B, Page 62, there are instructions on clearing the CMOS.  Also, there is a section on Solving Memory Problems.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the manual. I do not see a reason for resetting the cmos as both the working ram and the non-working ram are the same. When I return the old ram to the system, it again works fine. Also, I already know the problem is the new ram, I just don't know what the differance is between the new ram and the old ram, as they are both the same part number. So I'm left with ram I can not use and no way to fine and buy ram that will work. I have the same problem with each of my dc7700 pc's.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @gman77!

Clearing the CMOS is a good place to start troubleshooting.  It clears the BIOS of settings that may be causing a particular problem.  Unless you have made a lot of changes to the BIOS you won't see any difference.  If you have made a lot of changes I can see your reluctance.

When you add newer components to an older computer they may not work; though they are supposed to be the same.  I suggest contacting the memory manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can give any insight.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I have solved my ram upgrade issue. I found I can only use DELL snpyg410c/2g or Kingston KTD-dm8400c6/2g (2gb ram cards) in my HP DC7700.   Thanks for your help, see if this helps anyone else.

HP Recommended

> ... solved ...

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response (don't click this response!)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.