cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
gman77
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

ram upgrade

HP Recommended
dc7700

Hello. have two DC7700 pc's. One has two hynix 2gb 2rx8 pc2-6400u-666-12 ram cards, (4GB) and works fine. I got two more ram card of the same manufacturer and part number and tried to upgrade. If I plug any of the new ram into my pc, with all other ram removed, I get a beeping and red light at power on. I now have six of the new ram cards and all do the same. What is wrong?  With the same ram as what already works/runs in my pc now, what could be different? With six new cards, they can't all be bad.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gman77
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have solved my ram upgrade issue. I found I can only use DELL snpyg410c/2g or Kingston KTD-dm8400c6/2g (2gb ram cards) in my HP DC7700.   Thanks for your help, see if this helps anyone else.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
7 REPLIES 7
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,267 18,893 2,920 9,293
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gman77, welcome to the forum.

Which is your model - Convertible Minitower, Ultra-slim Desktop or Small Form Factor?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
gman77
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the pc is a small form factor running an intel pentium D, 3.4ghz

old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @gman77!

I suggest that you clear the CMOS (prn. see-moss).  Here is the Troubleshooting Guide for the computer.  In Appendix B, Page 62, there are instructions on clearing the CMOS.  Also, there is a section on Solving Memory Problems.

gman77
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the manual. I do not see a reason for resetting the cmos as both the working ram and the non-working ram are the same. When I return the old ram to the system, it again works fine. Also, I already know the problem is the new ram, I just don't know what the differance is between the new ram and the old ram, as they are both the same part number. So I'm left with ram I can not use and no way to fine and buy ram that will work. I have the same problem with each of my dc7700 pc's.

old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @gman77!

Clearing the CMOS is a good place to start troubleshooting.  It clears the BIOS of settings that may be causing a particular problem.  Unless you have made a lot of changes to the BIOS you won't see any difference.  If you have made a lot of changes I can see your reluctance.

When you add newer components to an older computer they may not work; though they are supposed to be the same.  I suggest contacting the memory manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can give any insight.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

gman77
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have solved my ram upgrade issue. I found I can only use DELL snpyg410c/2g or Kingston KTD-dm8400c6/2g (2gb ram cards) in my HP DC7700.   Thanks for your help, see if this helps anyone else.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 5,264 577 1,226
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> ... solved ...

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response (don't click this response!)

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation