Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion Desktop-550-027c
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I had a flickering screen and when I was using the computer it locked up with a black screen.

I looked up info on how to fix the problem of flickering. I tried  a couple of the suggestions but they did not help.

Then I tried one that said to "Run MSFCONFIG and select SAFE BOOT, restart,"

After doing that I was stuck on the screen that asks for password. I use a four digit pin but not the pin no longer works.

I shut it off and restarted, but the pin I had used before on startup will not work.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Entering Windows 10 or Windows 8 safe mode requires the Windows account password.  The pin will not work in that instance. 

When the Windows Microsoft account was setup originally, it first required a password and then after all was setup you could transition to a pin.  If you cannot remember the password, then it requires some extra work, which we in the forum are not allowed to give, but help is available from Microsoft.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.