Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
all in one

not sure of which all in one for sure til i can physically see it but my stepmom said she was on her computer ib facebook when it went to a gray screen. you can see and move the arroe wuth the mouse but can do nothing else, will not power down when pressing the power button. can press the window button on the keyboard nothing happens.  it iis plugged in to a surge protector turned the power off to that let it sit for half an hour turned the power to the surge protecter back on and the gray screen came back up and nothing else. what is going on? what can she try to do to fix this ?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@karla30

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to help. 

I read that HP all in one PC has a grey screen with the mouse pointer. The PC does not respond to the keyboard. You have restarted the PC and the issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Please let me know the exact PC model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7lAlso, let me know what version of Windows are you using. 

Based on some research done, I suggest you to perform the following steps to isolate and fix this issue:

• Power off the PC. 
  • Disconnect all cables and devices from the PC and also disconnect the power cable. 
  • Press and hold the power button of the PC for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect the keyboard, mouse and the power cable and power on the PC.

If the display continues to be grey then try connecting an external monitor (if available) and check the external monitor has a good display. 

Also, let us check if there is display in the BIOS. The following steps will help:

I hope this information helps. Please let me know how it goes. Cheers! 

• Power off the PC.
  • Power on the PC and immediately hit the f10 key repeatedly (7-8 times). This should bring up the BIOS.
  • If the display is still grey and then the evidence points towards an internal hardware issue. In such a case you may contact our HP phone support to check the available service options for your HP PC.
HP Recommended

I had a problem with a gray screen on my laptop this morning and tried the 'fix' provided by MKazi and it worked!  Thank you so much! Kudos to you MKazi!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.