Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TP01-0066

I want to add a 7.1 surround sound card, but the motherboard specs says it supports 5.1, i guess my question is will a sound card make it be able to do 7.1 or the board can't possibly ever do 7.1.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
i just answer the question, i did not check the computer model, and what is possible!
It just indicates that the computer, in its current configuration, can only run with one device, 5.1 ..
Although sometimes it is mentioned that it does not work directly, that the computer can not finally have 5.1 without adding something
So, if you want 7.1 you will have to buy a compatible audio card that allows it!

Edit

@Jonathon33 
If it is this model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-desktop-pc-tp01-0000a/37874144/model/31588445/docum...

Motherboard Specifications
the motherboard has a 16x gen 3 pci occupied by the graphics card
it is not specified but the pci port 1 x free must also be gen 3

The motherboard supports 5.1 surround sound. If the computer does not have the required audio jacks for a 5.1 configuration, additional hardware is required to use 5.1 surround sound.

as I said it is possible that it does not work in 5.1 with the integrated chip

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello
i just answer the question, i did not check the computer model, and what is possible!
It just indicates that the computer, in its current configuration, can only run with one device, 5.1 ..
Although sometimes it is mentioned that it does not work directly, that the computer can not finally have 5.1 without adding something
So, if you want 7.1 you will have to buy a compatible audio card that allows it!

Edit

@Jonathon33 
If it is this model

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-desktop-pc-tp01-0000a/37874144/model/31588445/docum...

Motherboard Specifications
the motherboard has a 16x gen 3 pci occupied by the graphics card
it is not specified but the pci port 1 x free must also be gen 3

The motherboard supports 5.1 surround sound. If the computer does not have the required audio jacks for a 5.1 configuration, additional hardware is required to use 5.1 surround sound.

as I said it is possible that it does not work in 5.1 with the integrated chip

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I looked at the detailed specifications for your computer and motherboard. It looks like you should have a free x1 pci-express slot! If so the 7.1 sound card called "Creative Technology SB1550 Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1 Sound Card" would fit in your computer!

Good luck with your audio upgrade 🙂

-Jamie M.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.