Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have a Compaq Presario SR5610F with an upgraded power supply (Antek 500 watt) and Vista 32 bit.  I purchased an ALFA 802.11 b/g usb network adapter which is based on the Realtek RTL8187L Chipset.

Here's the problem.  When I plug the adapter into the USB port (doesn't matter which one) and load the drivers, the adapter just cycles on and off.  Meaning it appears and disappears on the computer constantly at a rate of about once per second.  If you have the device manager open, it appears and disappears under network adapters.  I've tried every driver I can find... same result.  I even let windows choose the driver from Windows update... same.  I did a complete system restore (using a different hard drive) back to factory new condition...  made no difference.  Tried a different adapter, did the same thing.  Is there some sort of incompatibility with this presario and the 8187 chipset? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

ImaginaryKaos wrote:I could understand if one of these adapters produced this problem, but three of them?  Three different adapters reacted the same when plugged into any of the USB ports.  The constant cycling on and off.  Could they simply be drawing too much current from the port?  They are supposed to be rated at 500ma (different from 1000mw), but who knows?

I saw a review on this device and they were experiencing the same issue as you seem to be.

"The Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device." 

I worked around this problem by purchasing a powered usb hub from best buy.

Just a thought

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello ImaginaryKaos, Have you tried the Realtek drivers for your wireless adapter that can be found  Here  ?

I have a different brand wireless USB adapter with the same Realtek wireless device that would not accept any drivers from Windows or the CD that came with the product.

The only drivers I could get to work properly were the ones from Realtek.

HP Recommended

I've tried the latest drivers from Realtek as well...  I've tried a total of 17 different drivers...  new ones, old ones, XP drivers, Vista drivers, win7 drivers.  The ones that will load on my system all have the same effect.  the constant cycling on and off about once a second.

HP Recommended

HI,

@ImaginaryKaos wrote:

I've tried the latest drivers from Realtek as well...  I've tried a total of 17 different drivers...  new ones, old ones, XP drivers, Vista drivers, win7 drivers.  The ones that will load on my system all have the same effect.  the constant cycling on and off about once a second.

Have you tested the ports on your desktop with a mouse or a keyboard?. Use a simple USB devivce.  Try testing the USB network adapter on another PC with the same operating system.

The problem will be the device itself if you have tested the ports and the ports are working.This is all about isolatioon to find a root cause. 

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The ports are working properly.  My keyboard and mouse are both USB.  I have a Linksys USB adapter that works just fine in any of the ports.  It seems to be some sort of incompatibility with the Realek chipset and/or drivers.  The 'cycling' effect does not occur until after the drivers are loaded.  If you plug the device in without any drivers loaded, it doesn't cycle on and off.

HP Recommended

HI,

That means that Alfa has produced some drivers that have issues.  I would return it for another brand. That is a shame. I had heard the Alfa was supposed to be a pretty good device.I have never used the brand before.  Which OS are you using? 

Find one that has certified for "whatever your OS is" sticker on the box. 😉 

Best regards,

erico 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

ImaginaryKaos wrote:The ports are working properly.  My keyboard and mouse are both USB.  I have a Linksys USB adapter that works just fine in any of the ports.  It seems to be some sort of incompatibility with the Realek chipset and/or drivers.  The 'cycling' effect does not occur until after the drivers are loaded.  If you plug the device in without any drivers loaded, it doesn't cycle on and off.

Hello ImaginaryKaos, It appears you may have a defective product.

Here are the specifications listed for this device.

ALFA 802.11g wireless USB adapter. Includes a 5dBi Rubber Duck Antenna. The adapter comes with an RP-SMA antenna connector so that you can add an external antenna to boost your wireless range and signal. And to make things better we are including a dBi gain rubber duck antenna in the sale (comes with the adapter in the retail box).

The high power 1000mW can increase the receive signal range and the dBi antenna can increase the signal strength. So if you are looking for a device to connect to an indoor / outdoor wireless signal. This is your perfect solution.

Features:  Plug-and-Play Compatible with windows 98SE, 2000, Millennium, XP, Vista, and Linux - Now works with Windows 7 just ask us for the Link

HP Recommended

I could understand if one of these adapters produced this problem, but three of them?  Three different adapters reacted the same when plugged into any of the USB ports.  The constant cycling on and off.  Could they simply be drawing too much current from the port?  They are supposed to be rated at 500ma (different from 1000mw), but who knows?

HP Recommended

HIi

@ImaginaryKaos wrote:

I could understand if one of these adapters produced this problem, but three of them?  Three different adapters reacted the same when plugged into any of the USB ports.  The constant cycling on and off.  Could they simply be drawing too much current from the port?  They are supposed to be rated at 500ma (different from 1000mw), but who knows?

That would certainly be max power capacity on the ports on my ASUS Rampage Formula desktop motherboard.

You can check the current  at the USB port. in Device manager. Look for Universal Serial Bus Controller device and expand it. Right-click on any and select properties and then select the power tab.

usbport_pwr.PNG

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

ImaginaryKaos wrote:I could understand if one of these adapters produced this problem, but three of them?  Three different adapters reacted the same when plugged into any of the USB ports.  The constant cycling on and off.  Could they simply be drawing too much current from the port?  They are supposed to be rated at 500ma (different from 1000mw), but who knows?

I saw a review on this device and they were experiencing the same issue as you seem to be.

"The Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device." 

I worked around this problem by purchasing a powered usb hub from best buy.

Just a thought

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.