Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6720f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a processor from my older computer p6230y desktop. I installed it 3 years ago and it has worked great. I tried to install it into this new computer but it won't work. the one in it now AMD Phenom ii x4 840t 2.9 GHz, uses 95 watts I think. The other one from my older computer is AMD Phenom ii x4 965 black box 3.4 GHz and I think it is 125 watts. I was told I could go into Bios and change what watts my motherboard will take. Would this work and how do I change the bios to accept a 125 watt processor. 

Thank you, Joe

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It says on the HP site that I can update to this processor with this computer and motherboard, but it comes up processor not compatible . any one have a reason why it won't work?

HP Recommended

I got a reply from someone to my emails, but I see nothing here? Can I use a AMD Phenom ii x4 965 Deneb core on mine? I'm not sure what year this computer was built, I bought it still in the box new last week. I have done some upgrades from my old computer, which was HP p6230y and the black box ran on that old computer?

HP Recommended

@jogan516 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to upgrade the CPU.

(HP does not recommend upgrades as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed in HP articles are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion)

HP does not recommend CPU upgrades, nor do we support it

I would suggets you contact the nearest Authorise service, provider. They will help you.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I installed AMD Phenom ii x4 965 quad core Deneb core. Your HP page says this one will work in my computer, I even had it detect my computer. Why will it say my computer will not work with the CPU. I have been using Compaq and HP computers for years now, Compaq was the first one I bought. I have liked them because I have always used the Forum. Now I'm being told that HP does not help with upgrades to there computers anymore. I might have to buy a different brand of computer next time.

HP Recommended

My last computer was almost exact to this computer. But the motherboard was H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) this one has a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix). It seems there was a recall on this one and switched out for the better one. Should I put the better motherboard into this one. I play Second life and you need a better processor than this one? I have watched the task manager when I am running the game and the CPU is totally maxed out before I crash on the game. I am running  a AMD Radeon 5870 and it seems to do pretty good. Can I do a bios update on my motherboard, would that help.

HP Recommended

@jogan516 

Both units are circa 2009-2010. Different models have different CPU limitations.  

1) You can not use a 125W CPU in a unit limited to 95W.

2) The BIOS is keyed to the original WIN 7. Anyway, it would not allow 125W.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you. But I was asking if I should change the motherboard to whatever you guys changed the other ones to or should I just use a new Aloe motherboard that I had in my old one. is there a motherboard you can suggest to me that would work and I could find at a reasonable price. I can't have games crashing because of a slow processor. I put a AMD Phenom ii x4 965 processor into my other computer and it worked good for years on Second life. Thank you for whatever advice you can give me, Joseph 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.