Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion Desktop 570-POXX, running the latest update(s) of Windows 10.  Ever since I bought the product I have been having problems with my USB ports.  Whilst everything works normally after a reboot some of my USB ports stop working after a period of time, or after an (unasked for) reboot caused by Windows etc updating themselves (against my wishes).  This is extremely annoying as every time I go to use my USB connected scanner it says I do not have one attached to the system, and when I go to upload photos from my phone it will not connect.  Reboot and all works as it should.

After many months of frustration I have finally identified the problem:   In device manager the AMD USB 3.1 Extensible Host Controller 1.10 (Microsoft) reports "No driver installed" whenever the above occurs.  If I then select to install or update the driver it reports "Driver is already installed" when it isn't(?).   The only way out of this loop is to Uninstall the Device, requiring a reboot, then, hey presto, all is working and as it should be again!  Checking in Device Manager after a reboot the driver is reported as installed and working properly.

Such issues should not be occurring in quality products & operating systems of this vintage!  And before you suggest it, I've already downloaded and installed the latest AMD drivers without fixing the problem.

Any resolution that works permanently without stuffing up everything else on my computer much appreciated!  

Thank you

Rob       

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @RobK14 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing USB port-related issues on your system. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

Connect a USB device that activates the USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller

Press Windows key + X
Click Device Manager
Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers at the bottom

Right click each entry then click uninstall

Exit then restart

Windows 10 will then redetect them.

Check if it now appears permanently.

If not please follow the steps below and let me know the outcome of it: https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/ish_3017455-2859555-16 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

you most likely have a OS related issue or possibly a scanner driver 

the only way to easily test/fix this unfortunately is to do a clean OS reinstall of windows 10 with no other apps/programs installed except for the usb scanner, test the os by browsing the web, rebooting and see if the scanner/usb port behaves normally if so add just the scanning application and again test for  awhile, if ok then add one more application and so on till either app apps installed or the usb port acts up

i recommend you acquire a new 256gb SSD for testing (removing your current drive(s)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

https://d34z73bbtpzgej.cloudfront.net/

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply - since it is not just the scanner affected (as advised in my post) it must be either device driver or OS, however this is the only way I can draw the issue to the attention of the manufacturers (I hope?)....  Am I dreaming that they actually listen to anyone???? 

HP Recommended

this is a user to user forum, it's unlikely that you will get free non warranty support from HP on this forum

all the HP mods can do is point you to either paid support for out of warranty systems or to in warranty support

HP Recommended

Hi @RobK14 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing USB port-related issues on your system. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

Connect a USB device that activates the USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller

Press Windows key + X
Click Device Manager
Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers at the bottom

Right click each entry then click uninstall

Exit then restart

Windows 10 will then redetect them.

Check if it now appears permanently.

If not please follow the steps below and let me know the outcome of it: https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/ish_3017455-2859555-16 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  The issue has been plaguing me since I purchased the processor new.  Shortly after purchasing it I received notification of a ROM update aimed at fixing acknowledged issues with the USB port mounted on the front - this fix was downloaded and applied.  The problem continued off and on with that and other USB ports associated with the 3.1 Controller, but did not appear to impact the other USB ports.

It is only recently that I noticed the 3.1 driver issue as reported was the cause of the ports suddenly stopping working.  Power option is set to never turn off on all USB ports incidentally.

Uninstalling the 3.1 driver and rebooting worked each time, but only for a short period (hours, sometimes days) before reoccurring.

Following your advice I have uninstalled all the other Universal Serial Bus & Hub drivers and rebooted.  Tip for others about to try this:  leave the USB port to which your keyboard & mouse is attached until last!

I have noticed that since I have uninstalled the 3.0 driver (not the one having the issues) and the Generic Hubs and rebooted,  more USB ports have now appeared in Device Manager that were not there before and all appears to be working as it should including the 3.1 driver ports so far..... so perhaps it was one of the other drivers causing the problem, not the 3.1 driver itself?   

Will see how long all ports stay working this time, and keep you posted on the outcome.

Fingers crossed & thanks!

HP Recommended

That's great!

Sure, keep me posted if the issue persists. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Problem has not reoccurred since taking your advice, so appears to have been fixed.

A big thank you!

HP Recommended

That's great!

I am happy to hear that. If you need any assistance in the future, you know where to find us.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Spoke too soon.  Went to use my computer this morning (it remains running overnight & Windows has probably been at it again....) - same old problem back again!   Device Manager shows some entries under USB disappeared again, and Extensible Host Controller 3.1 says No Driver Installed exactly as reported before!

Grrrrrr!!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.