Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 795-0010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am running W10 1809, with BIOS AMI F.22 version, on this Envy machine, which is just over 1 year old.

I notice in the Event Viewer that I occasionally have ACPI errors 4 & 5, with this message "AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x75), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance." The range varies by one place between errors.

Other than appearing in the Viewer, there is no other apparent manifestation, although these errors, which are randomly occurring, seem to be timed to system shutdown. I have Fast Startup disabled.

There is apparently a BIOS update F.30, which is related to W10 1903, which I'm not running. I do not like installing BIOS updates unless there is a very sound reason for doing so.

Answers, particularly from "the system vendor", would be welcome, as I can find no really helpful information on the cause and cure for these anywhere.

EDIT

I have carefully noted the times at which this error is logged, and always it is on system shutdown.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ferrumic The BIOS update seems to have fix for the first 19H1 softroll production and should help resolve this error, as the error appears to be related to the 3D DriveGaurd, if that doesn't do the trick, you may want to follow the steps from this link: click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, and for the welcome.

Having read through the DriveGuard documentation, my understanding is that this is a HDD safety protection against HDI (Head to Disk Interference) in various HP models of portable or laptop machines. My system (not listed in the DriveGuard models, as I would anyway expect) is the desktop ENVY 795, with the system disk being an SSD and the secondary onboard drive an HDD. I can't see that DriveGuard is applicable to this machine, and I don't have any Unknown Devices, or indeed anything with a "problem" flag in the Device Manager full (including hidden) list.

Looking through the drivers and downloads for this machine on the HP website, it seems as if many of the drivers, including the BIOS F30 update, are specifically for a machine running W10 1903. This machine has not yet received an upgrade to 1903 and is still running 1809. As I have W10 Pro, the OS updates are deferred. It's therefore not clear how a BIOS update, intended for a future and, as yet uninstalled, W10 version can help a problem with a prior version of W10. Unfortunately, I don't have a way of precisely dating the start of the 4 and 5 errors, so I cannot tell from, for example, the W10 update history, whether something there may be connected.

A question. The F30 BIOS update is listed as Recommended. Is it necessary to instal it before an 1809 to 1903 update? I can't suppose that this is so, as I would think many HP machines worldwide have gone to 1903 without the users consciously going to Support Assistant or other routes to upgrade the BIOS.

I have several flash drives and 4 external HHDs connected to this machine. My normal shutdown procedure is to to invoke shutdown from the soft power-off, with all peripheral storage devices up and connected. Only after the machine is shut down do I power off these. As the problem occurs exclusively, and randomly at shutdown, I'm beginning to think that the peripherals may be somehow involved. The empirical test is, of course, to run the system up without the peripherals and then shut it down, and see if the errors occur.

I'll try a couple of things, watch this carefully and report back. Any further advice would be very welcome.

HP Recommended

@Ferrumic I looked this up further and as it turns out you are right about this device not having the 3D Drive guard and I suggest you check this article out for more details:

The ACPI_BIOS_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x000000A5. This bug check indicates that the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS of the computer is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification: Click here for details.

You could attempt a BIOS recovery: click here for steps,

Take your time and get back to us with the results.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I think the bug check you mention refers more to a BSOD, and the things I am encountering are logged errors 4 and 5 in the Event Viewer. These are writes to protected areas, rather than a sudden incompatibility of ACPI and BIOS.

I updated the BIOS from F21 to F22 quite some time ago, and I note that the purpose of the F22 update was, quote "

Fixed in this release: -Added the support for Intel CFL i7-9700 processor". It probably wasn't needed on this machine. I am reluctant to mess about with the BIOS without getting a much firmer "handle" on what potentially is the cause of these logged errors.

It is a mystery to me as to why there is not much more information available from all sources on the web, including Microsoft, as this error seems to have been around on systems going back to XP days. It is clear what the nature of the problem is from the log entries, but I cannot find any useful information on what may be potential causes, why this should be intermittent and so forth. This is primarily why I have, as recommended in the Event Viewer error message, raised this with the system vendor; in hopes of getting closer to an answer.

It still seems to me to be possibly somehow related to USB connected peripherals, maybe external HDDs, and I will pursue some ideas on this.

HP Recommended

@Ferrumic The only other information I could find on the web related to the error you are experiencing is this:

click here Event ID Error 5 and below is the resolution from the same link:

If you receive this error when the iSCSI target device that is listed on the Favorite Targets tab no longer exists, you can resolve this issue by removing the iSCSI target device from the list of favorite targets.

If you receive this error, and you cannot access an iSCSI target device that is still configured on the network, make sure that the client computer has network connectivity to the iSCSI target and make sure that name resolution is working correctly.

If you have successfully connected to your iSCSI target device despite this error, it indicates that the connectivity issue was temporary. Therefore, you can safely ignore this Error event.

Let me know if that helps, in anyway.

Good luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. It's definitely not a network problem, but things have moved on somewhat.

I did have W10 updates deferred for a considerable time into the future, but I decided to reduce the period, at which point this machine updated from 1809 to 1903. Since then, the error hasn't shown in the Viewer, although I'm still ejecting and turning off all flash drives and one of the external HDDs before shutdown. It would therefore seem to be connected with 1809 and perhaps an update to that, although I have been through the DevMan and checked for updated drivers throughout.

The EV is now mostly full of the 131 DeviceManagerSetup errors, which I understand are down to some Microsoft server inconsistency; but that's another problem.

HP Recommended

@Ferrumic As long as there are issues that are affecting the way the device works,

the EV shouldn't matter as it captures every minor change or error that occurs out of a system error.

That said, I'm glad things are looking good, let us know if you need anything else and have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I  was somewhat premature in thinking that the 1903 update had fixed this. The error still occurs, quite randomly and only at shutdown, and the sole evidence is the entries in the EV. It happened when I shut down, in the course of reinstating things like  my Macrium paid software, which had mysteriously reverted to the free version after the 1903 update. I hadn't used the shutdown routine or procedure I now describe.

I have 4 external AC-powered HDDs on USB, plus a USB hub with flash drives. 3 of the HDDs are WD devices without on/off switches, and thus a pain to turn off without unplugging them. The fourth is a Toshiba drive in an enclosure with switch. Previously I shut down the system with everything mounted (or not ejected) and powered. Now I have a batch file which ejects all devices (HDD and flash drives), and I then power off the USB hub and the Tosh drive (the WDs are still powered up), before shutting down the system. This seems (stress "seems") to stop the 4/5 errors, which presumably means that they are somehow connected to the state of these peripherals at shutdown. I will continue to monitor this.

I'm still not convinced that I should instal the F30 BIOS update, as I cannot see exactly what it's supposed to do, and the machine chugs along OK under 1903 with the F22 BIOS version.

HP Recommended

@Ferrumic Alright, take your time with the observation and I hope it works out, that said, the F.30 BIOS has been released to fix the first 19H1 softroll production, so if you've got the Windows 19H1 you may resolve most windows issues by updating your BIOS.

I hope that helps!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.