Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen #870-119
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a question to ask about the SSD Caddy with second SSD drive which will be inside my desktop. I wonder if anything on the caddy will not go further down to the bottom of the HDD/SSD drive box. I am not sure if I can get something on either side to slide the caddy into the box. Or just let the caddy slide right into the bottom of the box and let them wobble inside with no protection for this SSD caddy.

Thank you,

John

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jpmackay1 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide for the computer: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05185359

On Page 11 it shows how to mount the hard drives.  If you don't have screws that will allow the caddy to sit in the slots in the Drive Bay, you could actually add some velcro to the bottom of the bay and to the caddy to make it stay in place.  The SSD's are so light that it won't hurt them to mount this way.  I have seen members us cable ties to hold them in place.  If you don't move your computer from place to place anything will be fine.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your tip and will get velcro to put on the bottom of the bay and to the caddy to make it stay in place. Will come back after doing this.

Thank you again,

John

HP Recommended

After adding the second SSD drive into my desktop, HP Omen 870-119 and was surprised to see that it DOESN'T work as the second drive did not show up in Disk Management on Control Panel. All I did is to add the SATA cable from the motherboard to the back of the SSD drive. There is a white SATA (?) port between two blue SATA ports on the motherboard so I used the white port because the other two with blue ports are already have SATA cables with one from the SSD drive and other is for DVD drive. I wonder if I have to plug the 15-Pin Male to Female SATA Cable as well with the normal SATA cable (90 degree right angle) so both cables should be plug from SSD drive to motherboard or not necessary. If not necessary then why is that second SATA drive with SATA cable not working between the motherboard and SSD.

Let me know about this.

Thank you,

John

HP Recommended

@jpmackay1,

You have to connect a SATA power connector from the power supply unit (PSU) and SATA data cable from the SATA port on the motherboard (90 degree angle is fine.).  You have to go into Disk Management, right click on the SSD and select "Mark Partition as Active".  Then, you should be able to use the drive for storage.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@jpmackay1 

The proper screws for hard drive installation are called Fillister Head screws.

Look at the HD screw pictures.  This is what a Fillister screw looks like.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.