Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop MO1-F1046
Microsoft Windows 11

I want to add an additional internal hard drive to my desktop, but not sure which one I need to buy.  Can anyone help? HP Desktop MO1-1046

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I believe your product ID is 1J7P1AA please verify that.

The parts list for 1J7P1AA is here and indicates you have an Erica5 motherboard, part number L56021-604

I was unable to find a HP hosted photo of that motherboard but I did find two on eBay

You have 3 SATA connectors for hard drives or optical disks

BeemerBiker_0-1664676246795.png

The white and light blue below the heat sink and the dark blue to the right of the memory sockets

Any empty SATA can be used to attach another disk drive.  You will have to obtain an SATA data cable and possibly you may need a splitter cable to provide power unless there are spare connectors on the existing SATA power cables.  Most systems have at least one spare connector available.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hello again, you are correct on my product ID. I bought an internal hard drive about 6 months ago, but I think I bought the wrong one.  I bought a Western Digital 1.0 TB 64 MB cache, 3.5 inch. Will this work with my computer? Thanks for all of your help.

HP Recommended

@Jiligan1969 wrote:

Hello again, you are correct on my product ID. I bought an internal hard drive about 6 months ago, but I think I bought the wrong one.  I bought a Western Digital 1.0 TB 64 MB cache, 3.5 inch. Will this work with my computer? Thanks for all of your help.

The WD should work fine.  Is it to replace the existing disk that has windows or is it to be a data disk with a letter "E" or "F" etc.?

Western Digital uses a version of Acronis to allow owners to clone their old disk into the new one.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=502

It works well and I have used the licensed version on windows XP, 7,8,10 and 11.  I assume the free one works also..

You will need to find a place to mount the drive and will need to obtain an SATA data cable.  Your power supply should have an power connector.  

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hello again, I did purchase a sata cable along with this hard drive. The reason I want to add an additional hard drive is because I only have 256 gb on mine. So I’m adding 1TB for more storage on my computer. Thanks a bunch for your help! 😊

HP Recommended

Hello again, I did install the additional internal hard drive with no problems, however it is not letting me initialize the hard drive. I've looked on HP support and did what it said, but it's still not working. Can you help me out with this issue? Thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.