Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop875-1055xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought an Omen desktop PC from HP, and was going to add in another SSD drive.  Under 'Expansion Slots' the product page lists "1PCIe x16; 3 M.2". Am I to assume that slot is indeed empty and not filled by something else? 

To be honest, this is the first time I've dealt with newer hardware, so I'm a bit out of my depth as to what all that even means. I'd been looking to add a "Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T3X0C" That I'd seen on Newegg, but wasn't sure if that would fit in said slot, if said slot was even open and available, if there was a different item I should be purchasing instead, or if I would need to remove one of the existing drives, etc etc etc. 

Any help or information at all would be an absolute blessing, please and thank you, ever so much.  I've been looking about online at various guides and such, but YouTube is only so helpful and the Virtual Agent here even less so. >.<

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I agree with Prométhée.

You may want to put the 1 TB NVMe drive where the 256 GB NVMe SSD is now, and use the 256 GB SSD for additional storage.

Use the HP cloud recovery tool to reinstall W10 on the 1 TB drive.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the product and motherboard specs at the link below, this is what I can determine...

OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-1055xt Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

The PC has one of the M.2 SSD slots occupied by the 256 GB NVMe boot drive.

There is a second M.2 slot for another NVMe drive.

If you look at the pretty unclear picture of the motherboard (I had to zoom it to 150%), you will see the second M.2 SSD slot, just above where the Nvidia graphics card is.

The Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD will fit in that slot.

The 3rd M.2 slot is only for the wifi adapter and is occupied.

HP Recommended

Hello
be careful because it is mentioned:

Two M.2 socket 3, key M (one for SSD card PCIe x4)

this would imply that one is compatible pcie x4 , but maybe not the other:

You can try the crucial scan, the results are normally guaranteed for compatibility

Welcome to Crucial USA

that said, except for some type of use, there is little advantage of having a second M2 SSD!
It is especially useful for installing windows and some programs!

Capture d’écran 2020-12-12 092111.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I'll check that site out in the morning, thanks for the quick replies!  As the computer is used mostly for gaming, the hope was simply to be able to run Steam and other high end games that are starting to all but require an SSD on it, as otherwise load times on a traditional HHD can be downright atrocious.  There's just not enough room to install even one or two games on the 250gig one, considering the file size these days and it already having the operating system and associated filing methods on there.

HP Recommended

Indeed, in this case @WardM  the best would be to have a bigger SSD, but with Windows installation on it

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I agree with Prométhée.

You may want to put the 1 TB NVMe drive where the 256 GB NVMe SSD is now, and use the 256 GB SSD for additional storage.

Use the HP cloud recovery tool to reinstall W10 on the 1 TB drive.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.