Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp omen 30l 1a226av
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking at upgrading the memory on my omen. It came with one 8gb stick. I am going to replace it with two 8gb rgb sticks. The motherboard is the dorado oc with 4 memory slots. Do I place the sticks in slots 1&2 or 1&3 or 2&4?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello
I unfortunately have no picture to give ..

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-30l-gt13-0000i/33492325/model/37705710/product-...

it is possible that it is this motherboard:

So you have the dual channel, therefore you have to have, two different colors, just use the modules in the same slot of that color .. black / black .. red / red, for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s76le25qVsY

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Unfortunately all four dimm slots are black. They are labeled dimm 1,2,3,and 4. I guess I will try slots 1 and 2 first. 

HP Recommended

indeed, we can see it slightly in the video

looked at the video, we see the same thing
and clearly here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06592760

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06592761

Annotation 2020-08-08 185845.png
From what we can see, the modules are spaced
It may not matter much with this new motherboard.
we do not find much on how to place them

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

If its Intel based Omen 30l, you are not going to be able to add any memory and benefit of its XMP profile, it will default to the stock speeds. 

HP Recommended

In the omen command center you can change the stock memory from 2933 to 3200. Isnt this some sort of xmp setting?

HP Recommended

No, they are using a JDEC profile, install CPU-Z and you can verify by yourself, go to the memory section and look at the timings and profile. 

HP Recommended

So will the memory speed be 2666? If so, will I be able to notice one stick at 3200 vs two sticks at 2666?

HP Recommended

There is nothing to indicate in the support page, for what is installed!
But this goes for all HP PCs, practically, if you have a module and you want to increase the capacity, you have to install exactly the same module!
Or buy two, because there may be incompatibility between modules!
The motherboard just says:

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-23400 (DDR4-2933)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) with 16 GB DIMMs on 64-bit computers

If dorado OC

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 64 GB (unbuffered) with 16 GB DIMMs on 64-bit computers

On the hp store, we find:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-30l-desktop-gt13-0255st-1a226av-1

HyperX® 8 GB DDR4-3200 XMP SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
HyperX® 16 GB DDR4-3200 XMP SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
HyperX® 16 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
HyperX® 32 GB DDR4-3200 XMP SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
HyperX® 32 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
HyperX® 64 GB DDR4-3200 XMP SDRAM (4 x 16 GB)
HyperX® 64 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM (4 x 16 GB)

you must therefore look at what is in the computer, and buy exactly the same module if possible

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Don't listen to the "experts" here, I am giving you a first hand information after a almost 2 weeks of a lot of work and testing.

If you buy any, and I mean any aftermarket memory, even the exact same Kingston HyperX Fury, when you install it, it will default to the stock speeds of 2400mhz or 2666mhz, depending on the kit and you will not be able to control it with HP OCC.

Unless you pony up $158 for a single stick 8GB from their own store!!! 4 times more expensive then the same memory on Amazon.

The only way to go around the restrictions they have imposed over every customer is to use Intel XTU, I have a detailed instructions written here, check out my thread.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.