Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 USDT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello, I have HP Compaq Elite 8300 USDT with 128 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. I have one more 512 GB mSATA SSD. I want to *add* it to existing ones. I see there is expansion slots and one of them is listed as mSATA. But I am unable to get the picture\image on the hp site as to where it is. Can I use that? And if yes, where would I find it when I open the desktop. Thanks in advance, -Neel.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@neel01 -- if your motherboard has 2 mSATA slots, presumably you can use both of them.

If your motherboard only has one such slot, then you will use a five-step process:

1. copy everything from the 128 GB device to some other device (such as a folder on a 1 TB disk-drive)
  2. remove the 128 GB device
  3. connect the 512 GB device
  4. copy everything back from that folder onto the 512 GB device
  5. when satisfied that the above steps have worked, delete that whole folder from the "other" device.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@neel01 -- see the image at: maxresdefault.jpg (1280×720) (ytimg.com)

for identification of the PCI/PCI-E slots and the nearby M2/M.2 slots.

HP Recommended

Thanks! if you know I can use this to *add* 512 GB mSATA SSD to already existing 128 GB mSATA SSD and 1 TB HDD it has, let me know. I am waiting for hardware repair kit to arrive to that I can see it for myself.

HP Recommended

@neel01 -- if your motherboard has 2 mSATA slots, presumably you can use both of them.

If your motherboard only has one such slot, then you will use a five-step process:

1. copy everything from the 128 GB device to some other device (such as a folder on a 1 TB disk-drive)
  2. remove the 128 GB device
  3. connect the 512 GB device
  4. copy everything back from that folder onto the 512 GB device
  5. when satisfied that the above steps have worked, delete that whole folder from the "other" device.

HP Recommended

Hello @Itsmyname,

Sorry for delay. I managed to open but don't really see any mSATA port. I see a SATA cable that *was* attached to optical drive which I have removed. I think that might be my last chance to *add* 512GB mSATA with SATA to mSATA converter. But I am unsure about effect on speed or just remove that SATA cable and get mSATA cable?

Do you have any idea? I am going to mark your reply as answer anyway because this is more like follow up question but I thought I would make part of it because it's part of the issue you are helping me with.

Thanks in advance,

-Neel.PC.jpeg

HP Recommended

@neel01 --  I managed to open but don't really see any mSATA port. 

To repeat, see: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/L0w5ICKsseM/maxresdefault.jpg

where there are red-arrows pointing at two M.2 slots. There seem to be M.2 media in both slots.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.