Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My plan is to make a MS W10 DVD

Power off

unplug 1.5 TB boot/storage HDD from SATA 1

Plug Samsung SSD into SATA 1

Power up and fresh install MS W10 on SSD and let it update

Then, can I plug 1.5 TB HDD into SATA 2 and make it just my storage via Disk Management??

What steps/advice to make this an easy transition?

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It shouldn't matter if you use SATA1 or SATA2, but there are alway exceptions.

I had a motherboard with two different SATA controllers [Intel & Marvel] with different speeds. That's unusual, so safest bet is to use the same SATA connector for your new SSD that you used for your old HDD.

Since you will have two bootable drives you might have go into EUFI/BIOS and set your boot order to boot from the new SSD first. 

You should be able to access the files on the old drive without issues but I have seen on occasion where you will get an 'access denied' error due to 'permissions' issues, especially if the original drive/OS was protected with a password. If you do have any issues you can create a 'linux live boot disk' to access your files.

Rather than keeping you old drive as is, with an OS and boot volumes on it,  you should backup/move your important files to your new SSD then delete all volumes on the old disk, create one large volume, then format it to use as a  data/backup drive.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
          If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I don't see any problems with your plan.

Since your old HDD will have an OS and several partitions on it you should delete all volumes and format it with disk management before using it as a data drive.

Samsung offers free 'Data Migration Software' if you want to 'clone' your current OS from your HDD to your SSD. 

Notes about activation:

• If you’ve never installed and activated Windows 10 on this computer before, you’ll see the activation screen. Enter your Windows 10 key here. If you don’t have one, but you have a valid 7, 8, or 8.1 key, enter it here instead.
  • If you’ve ever installed and activated Windows 10 on this computer before, click “I don’t have a product key”. Windows will automatically activate once it’s installed.

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
          If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Cool,

Once the SSD and OS are installed and updated, couldn't I just plug in the old HDD and access the data files on it.

Can I use DIsk Manager to ID the HDD as a non-bootable data drive?

Or will the PC see it as a second bootable drive?

Also, is there an advantage to using either SATA 1 or SATA 2 for the SSD?

Paul

My PC is the

HP Pavillion Elite HPE-500y

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7 GHz

with the only upgrade so far of a Sapphire Radeon R7 240 without upgrading PS

HP Recommended

It shouldn't matter if you use SATA1 or SATA2, but there are alway exceptions.

I had a motherboard with two different SATA controllers [Intel & Marvel] with different speeds. That's unusual, so safest bet is to use the same SATA connector for your new SSD that you used for your old HDD.

Since you will have two bootable drives you might have go into EUFI/BIOS and set your boot order to boot from the new SSD first. 

You should be able to access the files on the old drive without issues but I have seen on occasion where you will get an 'access denied' error due to 'permissions' issues, especially if the original drive/OS was protected with a password. If you do have any issues you can create a 'linux live boot disk' to access your files.

Rather than keeping you old drive as is, with an OS and boot volumes on it,  you should backup/move your important files to your new SSD then delete all volumes on the old disk, create one large volume, then format it to use as a  data/backup drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.