Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Base Model Tower PC

Bought this PC with W10 to upgrade from a DC7000p and very happy with it as it's better in a number of ways. Currently running with 4 x 8GB RAM but finding it could do with speeding up. I've tried everything and still a bit slow for me so decided to upgrade the RAM to 4 x 16GB. Spent a few hours looking around, and although RAM is cheaper than it was, Crucial is still quite expensive at £170 total. So the question is does anyone know where I can get the correct RAM at a more reasonable price? Found some Integral on Amazon as per attached which I believe is the right one but it does have some bad reviews. Does anyone know of any better choices please? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! Screen Shot 05-12-24 at 11.07 AM.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I clean install Windows on my new drives and then reinstall the programs and files.

If you purchase a Samsung SSD, you can use their free Samsung Magician software which has a cloning program.

Samsung Magician Software Download | Samsung Semiconductor Global

After you install the NVMe SSD, you can install the Samsung Magician software and clone the drive with the PC running.

You might need a M.2 SSD hold down screw.

I borrowed one from the 2.5" SSD mounting tray since I removed the 256 GB SATA SSD when I installed the M.2 NVMe SSD.

If there isn't one in the PC perhaps a local PC repair shop can give you one.

Or you can buy more than you will ever need on Amazon.  You won't need the standoff as that is on the motherboard.

10 Set Hand Tool Mounting Kits Stand Off Screw Nut For A-SUS PC Laptop For M.2 SSD Motherboard Compu...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

32 GB of memory should be more than enough for your PC.

If you are still using a mechanical hard drive, I recommend you upgrade to a NVMe SSD since your PC has support for one.

That would provide you with a whole lot better performance for a lot less cost than adding another 32 GB of memory.

The memory kit you posted has the right specs.

I only use Crucial memory. 

I'd rather pay more and know it is going to work and in the rare instance a memory chip fails, the RMA process is simple and fast.

The only other decent memory I know of would be this one, but it costs quite a bit more.

Timetec 16GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.2V CL17 2Rx8 Dual Rank 288 Pin UDIMM Deskto...

HP Recommended

Sorry I should have said I already have an Seagate SSD but dk if it is much faster?

The RAM you have mentioned seems to be the same price as the Integral?. So that's good. Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you are using a Seagate 2.5" SATA SSD, that is a lot better than a 3.5" mechanical hard drive, but a M.2 NVMe SSD is up to 5x faster than a SATA SSD.

Samsung 980 1 TB PCIe 3.0 (up to 3.500 MB/s) NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V8V1T0BW)...

It installs in the available M.2 SSD slot on the motherboard.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP EliteDesk 800 G3 TWR Business PCHP EliteDesk 880 G3 TWR Business PC

I also have an 800 G3, but it is the ultra-small desktop mini PC.

HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Desktop Mini Business PC (35 W/65 W) Specifications | HP® Support

You can just about hold it in the palm of your hand.

I have 32 GB of memory in mine, running Windows 11 23H2 and installed the above Samsung NVMe SSD in it.

I like it a lot.

HP Recommended

That's great, thank you. I will definitely go for that.

Had never even heard of these.  

Is there a particular program you would you recommend to copy the c: drive onto it?

I don't suppose that could it be done on the PC while it's running?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I clean install Windows on my new drives and then reinstall the programs and files.

If you purchase a Samsung SSD, you can use their free Samsung Magician software which has a cloning program.

Samsung Magician Software Download | Samsung Semiconductor Global

After you install the NVMe SSD, you can install the Samsung Magician software and clone the drive with the PC running.

You might need a M.2 SSD hold down screw.

I borrowed one from the 2.5" SSD mounting tray since I removed the 256 GB SATA SSD when I installed the M.2 NVMe SSD.

If there isn't one in the PC perhaps a local PC repair shop can give you one.

Or you can buy more than you will ever need on Amazon.  You won't need the standoff as that is on the motherboard.

10 Set Hand Tool Mounting Kits Stand Off Screw Nut For A-SUS PC Laptop For M.2 SSD Motherboard Compu...

HP Recommended

That is amazing. You are a star!

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.