Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L RTX 3060 Desktop Computer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am planning on buying 2 16 GB Kingston FURY Beast (RGB, 3200 MHz, DDR4-RAM, DIMM) RAM sticks to upgrade my OMEN 30L GT13 1669nz RTX 3060 Desktop Computer, but I’m not sure if they will fit in the RAM sockets, any insight on if I could put them in or not? I attached 2 pictures of my computer right here :D8600E3E-2C1C-47C5-B730-2FAEF874F15B.jpegEBFB7AC9-D3A8-471A-B22B-15155D2BCA36.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@NectaLeVelo wrote:

Hello, I am planning on buying 2 16 GB Kingston FURY Beast (RGB, 3200 MHz, DDR4-RAM, DIMM) RAM sticks

I do not have an Omen 30L system like yours but can advice you to be cautious before buying and ensure the vendor can accept returns.

Those Kingston Fury Beast come in either 8bit or 16bit versions.  You did not specify the version.  Both are capable of XMP but I do now know if your BIOS supports XMP nor did you provide the type of memory you currently have.

8bit is rank 2Rx8 and 16bit is 1Rx8   It is not advisable to mix different ranks of memory and different brands or speeds.

Please examine one of you existing chips to determine the rank or run the following from the windows command prompt:

wmic memorychip get devicelocator, capacity, speed, MemoryType, formfactor, partnumber, manufacturer

You should see something like the following as explained here

BeemerBiker_0-1678805865624.png

Google can be used to lookup the manufacturer to find if your existing memory is 1rx8, or 2rx8 and supports XMP but possibly the label on the stick of memory will have that information.

If you have a pair of 8gb l recommend you get a matching pair of 8gb.  That will give you quad channel or 4-way interleave.  I believe the motherboard supports 4 channel but I am not privy to HP motherboard design details.  I suspect if you add a pair of 16 to a pair of 8 and the pairs are different ranks your system may slow down and not run at top speed.

I have had to return 64 gig of ram because the rank was wrong and they did not work and was lucky to get exact refund.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@NectaLeVelo wrote:

Hello, I am planning on buying 2 16 GB Kingston FURY Beast (RGB, 3200 MHz, DDR4-RAM, DIMM) RAM sticks

I do not have an Omen 30L system like yours but can advice you to be cautious before buying and ensure the vendor can accept returns.

Those Kingston Fury Beast come in either 8bit or 16bit versions.  You did not specify the version.  Both are capable of XMP but I do now know if your BIOS supports XMP nor did you provide the type of memory you currently have.

8bit is rank 2Rx8 and 16bit is 1Rx8   It is not advisable to mix different ranks of memory and different brands or speeds.

Please examine one of you existing chips to determine the rank or run the following from the windows command prompt:

wmic memorychip get devicelocator, capacity, speed, MemoryType, formfactor, partnumber, manufacturer

You should see something like the following as explained here

BeemerBiker_0-1678805865624.png

Google can be used to lookup the manufacturer to find if your existing memory is 1rx8, or 2rx8 and supports XMP but possibly the label on the stick of memory will have that information.

If you have a pair of 8gb l recommend you get a matching pair of 8gb.  That will give you quad channel or 4-way interleave.  I believe the motherboard supports 4 channel but I am not privy to HP motherboard design details.  I suspect if you add a pair of 16 to a pair of 8 and the pairs are different ranks your system may slow down and not run at top speed.

I have had to return 64 gig of ram because the rank was wrong and they did not work and was lucky to get exact refund.

HP Recommended

Hello, I looked up the page of my computer and have confirmed it supports XMP (since the sticks I already have are XMP), I will check my memory sticks’ rank when I get home. I found some 8GB sticks online, knowing my sticks are also 8GB each, but I am not sure about the bit specification of these. Thank you for helping me (again), I will update this thread when I’ll be home after having checked my memory sticks.

HP Recommended

I have checked and my memory sticks are in fact 1Rx8, but I'm not sure if these memory sticks are 8-bit or not, sorry to bother you, but do you have any insight about that? Thank you very much 🙂

HP Recommended

I checked everything and it should be good, thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

That link you gave mentioned "16bit"

I was unable to find if it was 1rx8 or 2rx8

If it was 1rx16 that might be a problem

I recommend you contact them, and verify it is 1rx8

I( looked up Omen 30L GT13-xxx 

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/model/103880/hp-compaq-omen-desktop-30l-gt13-xxx

there is both 1rx8 and 1rx16 be sure to get a1rx8

BeemerBiker_1-1678828783201.png

I recommend you get the modle name or manufacturer code (using wmic) and find and exact used pair on eBay

HP Recommended

I suspect that pair of 8gb are 1Rx16.  Do not get those it probably wont work.

Depending on how old your system is (not from when you bought it ) it is possible that the memory manufacturer discontinued that 8gb that has the RGB and is 1Rx8.  Newer memory modules are high density and are cheaper.  You may not be able to find an 8gb new that is 1Rx8.

I assume you want the RGB.  If you cannot find, new or used, a matching RGB that is 8gb and 1Rx8 then get that pair of 16gb (the 1Rx8 version)  and try to sell your 8gb on eBay if the system slows down after adding the 16gb pair.

When you removed your 8gb stick of memory to look at the label, did the label have an HP sticker an HP manufacturer code?  If so try to find the exact one on eBay with the same code.

HP Recommended

No worries, I ordered a pair on another website and checked with the vendor and they were 1Rx8 8 bit (though not RgB, but this isn’t a problem). Thank you for the help this whole time, have a nice day 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.