Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-1000a (2W847AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I decided to check the box from Windows Update to update Firmware (mistake). BIOS update failed and now I have a system that doesn't boot. It just gives me a message "The System BIOS update failed. Unable to open BIOS Image file." From there the system reboots just to give the same message and thus I'm in a boot loop.

I can't get to BIOS settings by pressing F10 or any other button. I've tried to read the forums for a possible solution. I've bumped into one "solution" of pressing win + b button to recover BIOS using HP_Tools folder from the drive. But there's a problem. I've updated the HD to a bigger one and the original HD has been overwritten.

So now my main question is, can I download the contents of the HP_Tools folder from somewhere else, put it in a SSD drive, install the drive in the system and fix the problem this way? Or do I have a totally bricked system because either HP or Microsoft released a crappy code?

All help greatly appreciated! 🙏

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Check warranty 

if in warranty 

1) Click on this link -
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device.
4) Select the country from the drop-down.
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.
6) Fill the web form and proceed further.

if not in warranty ---

You should first try to clear the CMOS before doing the BIOS recovery.

I believe this is your motherboard

The CMOS reset is done using the two blue jumpers top right

BeemerBiker_0-1666883702888.png

Unplug from wall, tap the power button 2-3 times to discharge electricity

toujch finger to metal case

move jumpers to the other pair of pins

after 20 second move back

see if it works

If not then item 3 in below information

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3966820-3438449-16

If the :BIOS is on the hard drive it will be loaded in.  If not, then you may be asked for where the bios is

If the bios can not be found then the USB recovery need to be done

If all fails it is possible, but difficult, to replace the bios.

BeemerBiker_1-1666884015502.png

If the SPI DEBUG has pins (unlike the photo above) then an inexpensive SPI programmer can be used to flash the bios

Alternately some sites sell the bios chip already programmed.  It may be cheaper to replace the motherboard than to pay to have the bios chip replaced.  If it was my system and the "B" did not work,  I would DIY and use a Dremel to cut or grind the chip off and use a silver or nickel adhesive "ink pen" to attach the new chip. 

I personally think that if Microsoft did not give a warning about bricking the system they could be sued and possibly face a class action suit.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community
I am a community volunteer and not work for HP.
If you find this post useful click the YES button
If I helped solve your problem please mark this as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Check warranty 

if in warranty 

1) Click on this link -
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device.
4) Select the country from the drop-down.
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.
6) Fill the web form and proceed further.

if not in warranty ---

You should first try to clear the CMOS before doing the BIOS recovery.

I believe this is your motherboard

The CMOS reset is done using the two blue jumpers top right

BeemerBiker_0-1666883702888.png

Unplug from wall, tap the power button 2-3 times to discharge electricity

toujch finger to metal case

move jumpers to the other pair of pins

after 20 second move back

see if it works

If not then item 3 in below information

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3966820-3438449-16

If the :BIOS is on the hard drive it will be loaded in.  If not, then you may be asked for where the bios is

If the bios can not be found then the USB recovery need to be done

If all fails it is possible, but difficult, to replace the bios.

BeemerBiker_1-1666884015502.png

If the SPI DEBUG has pins (unlike the photo above) then an inexpensive SPI programmer can be used to flash the bios

Alternately some sites sell the bios chip already programmed.  It may be cheaper to replace the motherboard than to pay to have the bios chip replaced.  If it was my system and the "B" did not work,  I would DIY and use a Dremel to cut or grind the chip off and use a silver or nickel adhesive "ink pen" to attach the new chip. 

I personally think that if Microsoft did not give a warning about bricking the system they could be sued and possibly face a class action suit.

HP Recommended

Thank You so much!

The CMOS clearing didn't work but the USB Recovery stick solution did the trick. Now working fine! Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Phow wrote:

Thank You so much!

The CMOS clearing didn't work but the USB Recovery stick solution did the trick. Now working fine! Thanks!

I am glad you got it working!

You can complain and make recommendations to Microsoft by using the windows feedback hub

Type "feedback" into the windows search and then run the feedback application.  Recently I had to do that when one of the Microsoft updates installed an NVidia driver on a system that had only AMD graphics boards.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.