Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

ok thanks, and just for my understanding, why does it still say only 7.19 usable?? So if im running a progam and it goes over that, does it then use the hardware reserved?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am having a bad night. I also missed that when looking at your reply.

Hardware reserved is at 9019 MB. This is very high.

Are you using onboard graphics?

Intel systems don't consume this much video memory when using onboard graphics. Intel systems release system memory when you install a discrete graphics card.

Have you checked BIOS settings to see if you can release some of the reserved video memory back to the system?

A different forum member may be able to assist.

Have not  built an AMD PC lately. I am at a loss as to why so much memory is being reserved for hardware (most likely video).

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

You posted your product ID in the image.

Please remove this ASAP.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for catching that!!! Also I have tried to check the BIOS settings but there really isn't many options and definitely didn't see anything about the computer's memory

HP Recommended

Hi Matth27,

You're very welcome.

Try adding the unused stick of HP factory RAM to the black memory slot closest to the processor.

Check available RAM again. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Put it in and now I got 24gb installed and still 7.19 usable. Do you think there is a chance that my mother board can’t handle anymore than the 7.19?

HP Recommended

Hi Matth27,

Wow!

I don't know what is going on. Your PC should support up to 32 GB of RAM on a 64 bit operating system (Link).

32 bit operating systems are limited to less than 4 GB of RAM. You have 7.19 GB usable RAM.

So you should be running the 64 bit version of Windows.

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults or reset CMOS. Replacing the MB battery will reset CMOS.

Have you ever replaced the MB CMOS battery?

Regards

HP Recommended

ill try resetting the BIOS and no, this is the first thing I've ever changed to the computer besides changing the OS from windows 8 to windows 7

HP Recommended

Hi Matth27,

Okay, I forgot you are using Windows 7. 

Are you using W7 Home Premium or W7 Pro?

I am pretty sure Home Premium is limited to 16 GB of RAM. This still does not explain why you only see 7.19 GB of usable memory when you have installed 16 GB of memory.

Replace the MB battery after trying BIOS defaults. See if this helps.

Regards

HP Recommended

Home premium... and now I got a new issue, went and set default bios settings and now when I start up the PC I get Boot device not found

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.