Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 550-153W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently posted a questiong regarding upgarding a power supply to allow instalation of new graphics card.  Thanks to help from the forum, I found a great power supply.  New Problem now.....

I installed the new power supply and graphics card.   When I turned the computer on, it gave me a beep code:  Three long beeps, three short beeps.  Pause and repeat.  I removed the power supply and graphics card (my computer disables the existing graphics card when a different one is installed)

Also, the new power supply does not have a connector to fit my DVD RW drive, so that was left disconnected.

New power supply is 550W (Corsair CS550m)

The video card I was attempting to install is:  PNY Technologies Inc  GeForce GT430 2048MB PCIE

(PNY PO# 149564)

What does the beep code mean?  Am I able to use this graphics card, or should I purchase a different one?

(I'm looking for one of the following, if possible:  GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3

Thank you in advance for any advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SallyDarkvalley,

Last first:  About that DVD power plug. Here is the adapter.

Your computer has UEFI VBIOS.  The GT 430 has a release date of 2011.  That card has the older BIOS called Legacy.  Your need to disable Secure boot and also enable Legacy Boot.  That requires you to have a function computer.

You need some reverse logic, but read this example of the possible settings.

What is your actual need for a graphic card?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SallyDarkvalley,

Last first:  About that DVD power plug. Here is the adapter.

Your computer has UEFI VBIOS.  The GT 430 has a release date of 2011.  That card has the older BIOS called Legacy.  Your need to disable Secure boot and also enable Legacy Boot.  That requires you to have a function computer.

You need some reverse logic, but read this example of the possible settings.

What is your actual need for a graphic card?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I want to install new graphic card to enhance game play.  That's really all.  My current card meets minimum requirements, but I don't get the full graphics effects.  Plus, the game lags a little in highly detailed areas, and I imagine it is due to the graphic card.

Thank you for the quick response!

HP Recommended

Thank you!  Everything is installed and seems to be running like a dream!!!

HP Recommended

@SallyDarkvalley,

Thank you for the excellent follow-up. 

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.