Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7100 cmt
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Currently I have an dc7100 and I wanted to put in there the best processor which is available for the 775 socket and is compatible with the mainboard. I want to do that mainly because I want to be able to start x64 applications but also because of the performance increase (if any). I already found the p4 650 (which would work 100%), but doubted if any processor later than that would work too (like core duo). 

Does anybody know what's actually the best processor that works?

Here some specs:

Cpu-z-1

Cpu-z-2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there are, but the wattage and heat they generate would be too much for your PC's, heatsink.

I found the best all around processor you can install in that PC is the one you mentioned (P4 650).

I think the model can go up to the P4 670.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27487/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-670-supporting-HT-Technology-2M-Cache-...

No Pentium D or Pentium Core 2 processors are supported.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, there are, but the wattage and heat they generate would be too much for your PC's, heatsink.

I found the best all around processor you can install in that PC is the one you mentioned (P4 650).

I think the model can go up to the P4 670.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27487/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-670-supporting-HT-Technology-2M-Cache-...

No Pentium D or Pentium Core 2 processors are supported.

HP Recommended

Okay thank you, so I'll go for the 650 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

With that processor, you can run a 64 bit operating system if you want.

I wouldn't do that unless you have installed 4 GB of memory though.

HP Recommended

Yes, I currently have 4gb of ram. Did I get it right that I can't install more than 4gb?

HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct.

4 GB is the max on the dc7100 and dc7600.

The first PC in that series that you could install 8 GB of memory in, was the dc7700.

HP Recommended

So now I bought the p4 661 and build it in. But everytime I try to start the pc, it keeps beeping 9 times. I looked up and found  it appearently means "9 Wrong power supply input voltage". But this is strange, because the 530 has a TDP of 84w and the 661 a TDP of 86w. What am I missing?

Btw the power supply has an output of 340W.

HP Recommended

Hi:

No P4 processor ending in a 1 is supported.  

The quickspecs are incorrect in that regard, and they don't even list the 661 as a supported processor.

http://whp-cpq.extweb.hp.com/cpq-products/quickspecs/11948_div/11948_div.pdf

I strongly suggest you follow my advice and get a P4 650, and no more.

As far as the 9 beeps, your diagosis is incomplete.

The other 2 troubleshooting steps include...

2. Replace the system board.

3. Replace the processor.

You installed an unsupported processor, so logically you need to replace it with a supported one.

HP Recommended

I just want to know if i understood something wrong:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CMT-7100-CPU-Upgrade/td-p/10830...

Says, that with a microcode update, the 662 and 672 are supported. Further the update does "Updates Intel Pentium 4 Processor microcode for F34, F41, F43, F49, F4A, F64, and F65 steppings.".  I looked at cpu-world and found the 661 as F64, F65.  So theoretically it would work?

HP Recommended

Yes, you are correct.

Theoretically, if you update the microcode, the 661 should work.

But if you read what I posted years ago, even though folks updated the microcode, no processor ending in a 1 works.

In any event, you may want to the microcode anyway.

However the only way you can run it will be with an internal or USB FDD, because the microcode update file automatically creates a bootable floppy disk and puts the microcode update files on it.

The microcode update will only work on XP (making the bootable floppy) from what I recall.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.